Game of the Year 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Alpolio, Jan 4, 2017.

1. #1 Alpolio, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Ok... this is serious. What is your pick as 2016 Game of the Year. I had a hard time picking between 2 titles. Doom and Titanfall 2. But I'm going with Titanfall 2. That platform like campaign was insane. So my top 5 list goes as follows:

1. Titanfall 2
    2. Doom
    3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    4. Killer Instinct: Season 3
    5. Gears of War 4

I included Rise of the Tomb Raider because it is a 2016 release to non-Xbone owners. And it is "THAT GOOD" to cover 2 years of awards. If you reject that explanation, then knock it off of the list and put Forza Horizon 3 at #5.

2. The Witcher 3 wins by a good margin.

3. #3 cmdrmonkey, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    DOOM. Perfect example of how to properly reboot a dormant franchise. It stays true to its roots as a Doom game, but feels new at the same time. One of the best single player shooters I've played in many years.

4. Isn't Witcher 3 a 2015 game? I'm gonna stick with Mirrors Edge Catalyst, since it's one of the only games I completed. I played DOOM and enjoyed it but never finished.

5. It's a 2015 game, but its best expansion Blood and Wine, came out this year.

6. Sorry. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. According to metacritic it's the highest scoring PC game of 2016 by both critic and users. It's around number 3 on the PS4 chart. Now despite being good enough as a stand alone game it's technically DLC. So if we don't count that I'd have to say Battlefield 1.

7. #7 cmdrmonkey, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Witcher 3 was amazing, but I got totally overwhelmed by how enormous it was and stopped playing. I'll probably get back into at some point.

8. Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4, Inside, and maybe Civilization VI are also contenders.

9. I didn't like Witcher 3 that much. I still have it, but I hardly ever play it. The story literally gets in the way of the gameplay. If I get killed in an area, I have to go and repeat the entire story sequence before I face that foe/challenge again. I know that I can click "skip", but I shouldn't have to do that repeatedly in order to get on with things. In a game like Rise of the Tomb Raider, if you get killed, you just face that foe or challenge again till you get it right. More thought went into those check points.

10. Do you mean Dark Souls 3? Witcher 3 doesn't have check points.

11. I haven't played Dark Souls 3 yet, so I don't know how it works. My issue is with Witcher 3. Those checkpoints should be directly before the battles and not before the story. Repeating the story after dying is annoying.

12. Get good noobcake. Back in my day, saves were only allowed at suspiciously located typewriters. And it required you to find and carry spare ink ribbons. Things like planning ahead, inventory management, risk assessment, and delivering under pressure were rewarded with new character apparel. You could learn more real world skills from gaming than going to college. Now you unlock a shiny achievement for dying. Millennial hipsters and their #PussificationOfAmerica.

[​IMG]