Halo Franchise Comes to Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmdrmonkey, Mar 13, 2019.

1. #1 cmdrmonkey, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Microsoft is bringing the Master Chief Collection and Reach to Steam. We will still be missing #5 on PC, which I heard wasn't very good. I would think if this sells it will come to Steam at some point.

Halo CE is one of my all time favorites. I look forward to playing it again.

• agree agree x 1
  2. Halo is all multiplayer games right? I wonder if there will be a player base.

3. Story mode and multiplayer. Of course it will have a player base.

4. Maybe for the first week. People don't stick with games like they used to. I opened Battlefield One a few days ago and the match maker couldn't find me a server with any players. Everyone moved on to Battlefield 5 or was playing the DLC which I didn't have.

5. #5 cmdrmonkey, Mar 13, 2019
    They have really good single player campaigns. For its time, the first game had one of the best single player campaigns ever. I'm not sure how well it has aged but it would be worth giving a try if you've never played it.

Reddit basically exploded when this was announced. There will be a player base. Probably a big player base. I think a lot of the user base for the 360 moved on to PC gaming late last gen and never came back.They want these games, just not on the Xbox.

6. i remember when i got halo ce for pc when it launched. campaign didn't feel any different than the xbox version... but when i fired up that mp... holy crap. those new maps and being able to fly the banshee around.. what a game changer.

7. i went into a dive to see if there was any type of eta, but nothing. hopefully the division 2 will have enough content to keep me busy until this launches.. wow classic is also coming this summer too.. so maybe i won't get bored before this launches.

8. #8 cmdrmonkey, Mar 13, 2019
    Yeah no date, but I can't imagine this will be hard to port. XB1 is basically just a low spec AMD PC. I would think it would run well too if they do a proper port.

9. Halo 3 was the best. I think it was the pinnacle of online console gaming, at least in my age group. I think the franchise went to shit after that, right?

EDIT:

holy shit; Halo 3 is a 2007 first-person shooter

[​IMG]

10. I enjoyed Halo 3 but I think Halo CE was better.

It predated consoles being able to get easy updates by a couple of years, so the multiplayer was super polished right out of the box. More polished right out of the box than MP games in modern times that have gotten tons of updates. It was also really well balanced. Blood Gulch is one of the most balanced maps in any multiplayer shooter. I think it might literally be the best multiplayer map of any shooter.

CE also had a great campaign. And it's long too at around 20 hours.

11. This is supposed to be coming out in December.

The system requirements are really low, but this is a 2014 compilation of some really old games, so I guess the low system requirements are to be expected.

12. it's specifically just halo reach that launches on Dec 3rd. the rest of the collection is still in development

13. #13 cmdrmonkey, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    I never played Reach, and it's the main thing from this collection that I'm interested in, so I'm fine with that.

Reach by itself is $9.99 or you can get the whole collection for $39.99

14. ya it looks really good. I haven't owned any consoles since the Xbox, PS2, gc generation so all titles after halo 2 have my interest

15. #15 cmdrmonkey, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Looks well optimized. Even old potato computers should be able to run it well. Anything modern that's half-way decent should be able to do 4K.

[​IMG]

16. Finished the MCC campaign a year ago and started Halo Infinite 2 days ago since I got it during the steam holiday sale. I actually got Infinite and Dying Light 2 during that and finished Dying Light 2 recently. I barely game as much as I used to for the last few years, but holy crap i have started losing faith in the industry.

Infinite launched a year ago, and thank god I actually somewhat followed its news because I buy games based on coop mode.. so I knew the game launched without coop mode. Coop just released back in November, 11 months after the game launched. Plus I had a bunch of rubberbanding happen in the game so I looked it up. Looks like the servers have been having issues ever since the game came out. My friend was also having UI issues that have been happing forever too.

We also ran across a bunch of technical issues in Dying Light 2 as well..

These are two AAA titles that have issues since the games' launch dates.

Anyways, I'm playing through Infinite and was like, I don't have any idea of what's going on in this story which was weird since I played through the entire MCC campaign back to back. But then I remembered that Halo 5 never came out for PC and never will. Such a weird business decision for the PC to have the entire Halo collection except for 5.

17. It’s crazy they took so long to implement co-op. I thought it’d be a great game to play with my son but was so surprised it wasn’t in there when we picked it up a few months after launch. Playing it subsequently, I have no idea why it took them so long.

18. #19 cmdrmonkey, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Yeah I still haven't gotten Infinite. I have no idea why they didn't bring 5 to PC as the story won't make any sense without it. It's also shameful that Infinite is still such a mess a year later and that it just got coop, which is something Halo has had going back to CE.

I've been playing a lot of games lately on my son's Switch and I'm starting to think Nintendo was right. They stopped caring all that much about hardware and graphics and shifted their focus to the quality of their games and the gameplay. And the Nintendo first party games are all top notch quality and just work. I haven't had a single issue with any of them. I had forgotten what it was like to play games that are this polished. Mario Kart 8 is like a master class on how to build a game. It looks amazing even on the Switch's weak hardware. And it has some of the best split screen multiplayer of any game I've played. It makes me wonder what these other companies are doing when they have such powerful hardware to work with by comparison, but the games they deliver are total dogshit.

19. So I just bought this. I know nothing about Halo. Which game should I start with for single player campaign and multiplayer? If I buy it for my son can we play campaign coop?