Happy Birthday Sonic: 20th Aniversary

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phisix, Jun 25, 2011.

1. So today is Sonic the Hedgehogs 20th birthday. 20 years of blistering speed and cool attitude. Sonic games have dwindled in the last few years but it seems with the new game he might be coming back to his best.

Let's take a trip through Mobius memory lane for some of his best games:

Sonic the hedgehog: Megadrive 1991:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic the hedgehog 2: Megadrive 1992:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic the hedgehog 3 and Knuckles: Megadrive 1994:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic 1, 3 and Chaos: Master system 1991/1992/1993:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic Spinball: Megadrive 1993:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic Flickies Island/3D Blast: Megadrive 1996:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2: Sega Dreamcast 1998/2001:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sorry mate. Sonic 2 (Mega Drive) came out in 1992, not 1993. Check out this vid I made in 2009.

Sonic games I've owned over the years:

Mega Drive

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island

Game Gear

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic 2
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Sonic Spinball
    Tails Adventure
    Sonic Drift Racing (the second one as the first was unreleased in the UK)

PC

Sonic Adventure DX
    Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island

PS2

Shadow the Hedgehog

PS3

Sonic Adventure DX
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Gamecube

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Xbox 360

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic Unleashed

Sonic remains my favourite game character despite so many shoddy games. If Sonic unleashed had no werehog and was just daytime stages it would be my favourite Sonic game but it isn't, that award goes to Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Maybe Generations will take the crown.

3. Just bought Sonic Colors (dispite the gay name...) haven't even hooked it up yet.

4. I saw a video of it earlier. I don't like Sonic's new voice, I don't like the crappy comedy they've put into the game (Sonic talking to the camera for instance) and the robot comedy double act isn't very nice. The cutscenes seem to be aimed at really young kids, they used to be more mature.

5. When i buy the Genesis comes in a bundle with Sonic 2.

6. I added a few more titles. The are many more Sonic games so I have added a wiki source so you can see what the rest are. The ones I posted in the first post are the best of the series excluding 3D blast as I put that in as it was the first 3D Sonic game.

7. What are you a yank? It's Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island in this country my boy!

8. Was catering to the yanks. If you notice on the screenshots I put both title names.

9. Yeah I did notice. No need to cater for them though lol.

10. The demo of Generations looked fantastic. It wasn't quite as smooth as it needed to be just yet, but I don't think it actually comes out until late this year. They have time to refine it a bit.

11. Yeah I thought it would be glorious 60fps, I thought the screen was too busy at medium speeds. I'm really only interested in the 3D bits though, the 2D bits are like an extra bonus.

12. Instead of releasing a few game collections here and there Sega need to release every Sonic game created in to one big collection. Now that would have been a great 20th anniversary surprise.

13. It also would've probably cost over £100. Most of those games are available for emulators anyway.

14. All I want to play are the two Sonic Adventure games but my PC is not good enough for emulating those.

15. You got a PS3 or 360? You can download Sonic Adventure, I'm playing it right now in fact on my PS3, I also bought the DX upgrade for a couple of quid extra.

16. Oh yeah I forgot about downloading it over live. I just need to buy some MS points. I dred to ask, but please tell me Adventure 2 is out?

Yeah Microsoft sucks. Their website will not take my Visa card for some reason. Says my CC number does not exist. Oh well they lose out on making some money.

17. Unfortunately as of 27th June 2011 there has been no word of Sonic's best game ever coming to PSN or Xbox LIVE.

Gay, I know.

18. It will be released eventually, but in the meantime 100% Sonic Adventure will have to do. if Microsoft sorts out paying via paypal on their site. All I need is 400 MS points to by Adventure and only a fiver for 500 ms point. I will try again tomorrow as I am well up for buying it.