PC gaming headsets

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by hawk4x4, Feb 23, 2017.

1. I'm slowing working my way back into the master race, and one of the things I'll be in the market for sooner than later is a good headset. I am cheap and do not spend top dollar on any gaming stuff, so I'm primarily looking at the sub-$100 offerings, with minor flexibility if there is a particular headset that is worth it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just a few notes: I do not need wireless, wired is fine for me because I'd prefer better sound for less money. I prefer analog to USB because then I also have the option of using it with other devices, like my PS4, if I ever choose to. Plus I still have my Forte X-Fi sound card running on community drivers, so I might as well use it with an analog headset while it still works.

My last headset was a HyperX Cloud, and I was not impressed by it at all. The cabling is cheap, and the inline volume control / mute button unit stopped functioning early on. The mic stopped working at all recently, which is why I'm shopping around. The sound was never impressive. I had a pair of old steelseries headphones that I loved, which cost me half the price as the Hyper X Clouds but sounded twice as good.

I'd love it if anyone can make a recommendation.

2. There is no such thing as cheap and good in the PC world. Sennheiser Game Zero or go home.

3. I have Plantronics and Creative headsets I bought on the cheap and they suck donkey. My advice is to get an AD500X for $70 and use a random USB mic like monkey said. They run pretty well out of any headphone jack and you'll eventually wonder how you lived without them.

[edited amazon embed for adblocker]
    http://amzn.to/2kVuZkb

4. Should I go the separate mic route? If so, I just need a mic. I've got a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XLs that I am currently using for just about everything. I just felt like I was missing out if I don't have the cool gaming headset with giant mic in my face, like on the cool kids in the interweb streams.

In fact, my Urbanites have a mic on the cord, I just have to get an adapter. It uses the a single 3 pole 3.5mm, intended for phones and combo ports, so I need a cheap splitter.