Post Your A/V Setup

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Probably the same as your gaming setup in most cases, but what do you use to watch TV and movies? I game on my computer, so for me it's a separate setup.

LG 52" 1080p/120hz LCD
    Onkyo TX-SR504 7.1 Channel Receiver
    5 x Klipsch Promedia THX Satellites
    JBL 12" Sub
    Sony Playstation 3

2. I use my crapass tv since my stupid super expensive TN screen (why did I EVER buy that?? oh yeah cuz it's LG) is so dark in dark scenes I can't see anything unless I get straight on with the screen. any type of angle makes the colors all stupid.

Replace that screen and I got Blu-ray
    Niko 5.1 headphones (yes it's not a great brand, but believe me there is NO better surround sound yet!)
    Asus SoundCard (whats it called?? the pci one...)
    and an ikea computer chair.

else I use my cheapy logitech 2.1 speakers.

oh I also have a component enabled (not many have 1) capture card
    and a usb soundcard with 3d algorithms I use on the road (with my amd fusion 'not'book)

as for consoles I have a ps2, modded xbox and wii plus two wired x360 controllers to use on my pc. I use my brothers 360 every once in a while.

3. Panasonic 46" 1080p plasma
    Marantz SR6003 7.1 receiver
    Polk VM30 fronts (x2)
    Polk VM20 center
    Polk VM10 surrounds, rears (x4)
    Polk PSW 125B sub
    PC (2600K, 2x 6950 CF), PS3, 360, Wii

4. Sharp Aquos Quattron 40" LED w/1080p 120hz
    Oppo Universal DVD player w/1080p upscaling
    Apple TV 2.0/Mac Pro desktop w/iTunes
    Sony MDR-DS6000 wireless surround headphones (these have proven to be a bit mediocre).
    Wii/360
    iPad 2 w/iOS 5 mirroring

I used to have a 5.1 surround sound speaker set about 7 years ago, but decided that it's too much of a pain in the a** for apartments. I've thought about getting something like the ZVOX Z-Base, which is a sound bar style speaker system that your TV sits on top of and doesn't require a separate sub-woofer. Very simple and compact solution for better sound without headphones.

5. I ordered a harmony remote. I couldn't deal with having to switch between four remotes to control everything. My wife or anyone I had over at my house had no idea how to control anything. I also bought a harmony IR adapter for the PS3, since it doesn't have IR and isn't compatible with universal remotes (kind of an annoying oversight on Sony's part since it's such a great media machine otherwise). Hopefully everything works.

6. I decided to pick up the ZVOX Z-Base 555 that I mentioned above. It's not their most powerful system, but it's going to be more than enough for an apartment. As you can see from this promo photo, the cabinet is much deeper than the typical "sound bar" style all-in-one speaker.

[​IMG]

7. I love my Harmony. I used to have 5 things on there so it was very useful. I also bought the IR adapter for the PS3 and was finally able to get down to just a single remote.

I think Sony didn't want to include the IR so no one would attempt to make a cheap IR controller. An IR controller would suck balz.

8. Can that be controlled through the TV volume or does it need a separate remote?

9. Apparently it can be programmed to respond to any remote of your choice. I get delivery on it next week, so it will be interesting to try that out and see how it works.

10. @bfun

Have you tried to use the harmony with a PC? If so, which IR receiver did you use?

@alterego

That looks like a pretty neat idea if you don't want to deal with the clutter of a receiver and speakers. It doesn't have much in the way of inputs, but I guess you just run an optical or coaxial cable from the TV. I'm curious how something like that would sound.

11. Nope. Never have. Just AVRs, TVs, and media players.

12. Some quick first impressions on my new ZVOX 555...

Any worries that I had about having a 40" widescreen sitting directly on top of the speaker box disappeared as soon as I took it out of the box. It is SOLIDLY built, but not overly heavy considering the size. They do include a separate remote if you want it, but I went with pairing my TV remote to the ZVOX (worked like a charm). The first thing I noticed with music streaming on this system is how much better the instruments and vocals were separated, how clear the details were, and how much wider the sound seems. The bass it produces seems pretty legitimate as well for an all-in-one, and there is a clear "thunk" from the sub woofer when you turn the system off. It's not going to rumble like a dedicated sub, but it gives you a real low-end vs. the TVs built in speakers. Did a quick video test with some Netflix streaming, and the dialogue is so much clearer vs. background audio, similar to having a dedicated center channel...very happy with that.

Anyway, the first impression is very good. Seems to totally fit the bill as a simple way to dramatically improve sound quality for a lower price and lower hassle.

13. Good to know that it sounds good. I wasn't sure something like that could produce decent sound. It seems very practical given the relatively low price and lack of clutter.

14. I got the harmony and it's pretty nice with one caveat. They seem to be moving towards the use of a web app to do all of the configuration. The downloadable software is pretty junky and looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time. The web app on the other hand is quite nice. If you buy a harmony remote, this is what you want to use:

http://myharmony.com

There's a little 10mb app you download, and then just bookmark the configuration page in case you need to return to it.

It seems like a small thing, but it's not very well explained, and I wasted a lot of time with the out of date downloadable software.

15. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for running ethernet cable? I have an older house and would like to run ethernet cable to two TVs for streaming. Wifi is kind of sketchy for streaming, and the PS3 only has wireless G, but it does have gigabit ethernet. I've redone the baseboards, and will be doing crown moulding soon, so I was thinking of hiding it behind that. I really don't want to have to go up into the attic to drop it down.

16. Run ethernet over your power lines with adaptors. Not sure what they are called.

17. Can't edit with this stupid browser.

All you need is a power outlet near the tv
    and router but I don't think you can have more than one connection.

Comcast gave me the adaptors for free

18. This house was built in the 1950s so the electrical system is ancient. I have serious doubts that a powerline network would work well or at all. Also, the adapters are really expensive.

19. You can run it outside the house or pay someone to pull it through the wall.

20. The amp in my JBL Venue Sub12 blew up, so now it just makes clicking and popping sounds instead of putting out bass.

I looked at replacing the amp, but they cost nearly as much as a new subwoofer.

I'm replacing it with this Polk 10" sub.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

It has a 5/5 rating and it's marked down to $90 from $250. Hope it's decent. I have no experience with Polk, but they seem to have a reputation online for being very good for the price.