Site Restructuring

Discussion in 'Pipeline' started by cmdrmonkey, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I was thinking of eliminating most of the sections. A lot of them go unused, and it makes the site look abandoned. Subforums that only have one or two topics are pointless. I was actually thinking of just cutting it down to:

-Gaming Discussion
    -Hardware Discussion
    -Off-Topic Discussion
    -PVC Business

We don't get enough traffic to justify the way the site is structured right now, and people seem confused about where they should post things. It also makes the site difficult to navigate.

We're set up like this grand forum that has thousands of people posting. In reality we've got fewer than 10 people who post here regularly, and the way things are set up now just seems kind of dumb. It's left over from the old site, but it never made much sense there either.

Let me know what you think of this idea.

2. I have no problem with that. That'd actually be easier for me to navigate since i'm on my phone half of the time. Most of the time, when there's new posts, it's just 1 or 2 threads that got updated in the subforum anyways.

3. Not a bad idea. I hate to give up the current format but reducing the number of topics might be good at least in the short term.

I would add
    because of it's popularity and it's 5 stickies would clutter the other sections.

4. @Bfun

Good suggestion. We have a lot of TV and movie discussion to the point where it should probably be kept separate. In fact, that one subforum has roughly the same number of posts as the entire hardware forum.

5. Looks clean. My phone approves.

6. I like it. No more useless subforums.

7. Jesus Monkey I was usin that!!

(referring to the dumpster... I am sad to see it go :()

8. Everything in there was crap. It wasn't even funny crap. It was just crap.

9. True Dumpster Divin' is a lost art :/

10. I didn't even notice the change since 99% of the time I just click on new posts. Now it's been streamlined, I like it.

11. The index was useless. I tried to make it useful.

I also removed the crap about punbb extensions at the bottom of the page.

12. Yeah good job man it looks much tidier, we didn't need all those unused topics cluttering up the place.

13. Yeah. I used to go straight to Active Topics anyway.

14. I had second thoughts about getting rid of the dumpster. Crap posts can be fun to laugh at so I added it back in.

15. Although the threads were created by me most of the posts in there are from you, I guess you couldn't say goodbye to your gay sex stories.

16. They weren't all gay. Some of them involved necrophilia and bestiality.

17. Oh yeah, my mistake lol.

18. "Gaming" and "Hardware" are a bit generic. "Discussion" isn't really necessary. And where do software topics go?

Gaming Gala
    Tech Niche

19. Nobody discussed software, so it seems kind of pointless.

20. We're not gamefaqs, so I think SW discussions are pretty dull. Occasionally we get quickie impressions on new releases, they should go into gaming.

I still think we should retain an area for classic games though and questions like 'what was that old game with the Revolutionary War general fighting Indians with his giant penis??' I don't enjoy hunting up topiccs that do become relevant every once in a while (Happy Christmas??) when it's buried way down in a way to specific category.

IMO PVC would be nothing but just another game forum if not for such infamous topics.