Voula Papachristou, Greek Olympic athlete expelled for racist tweet

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by khaid, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Here's more from the society of people in the world with no sense.

"With so many Africans in Greece… At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!"

I wonder what was going through her head that made her think that would be a good idea. Such a shame as she was hot too.

[​IMG]

2. She could always get a job working at Chick Fil-A.

3. Seems like an overreaction to me. Her comment was obviously meant as a slander but people are too uptight. I don't think she deserves to be kicked out of the games for a single stupid tweet.

4. I'm not sure about that. If she was playing for some private sports association (basketball in the WNBA, for example), you're going to be in hot water with the public, but you aren't also representing your country.

If you say bigoted nonsense as an Olympian representing your country, I think it's reasonable to consider booting you.

5. But is it bigotry? To me her comments seem childish, not intolerant of full of hatred.

6. That seems like a joke. I could easily see a comedian getting away with saying that...

7. Yeah, but the problem is that she's competing in the Olympics, which in addition to being a sporting event, is supposed to be about international cooperation and tolerance.

Also, European countries come down much harder on racism than we do here in the US. Hate speech is illegal in most European countries and can get you fined or jailed.

8. And rightly so.

9. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the “Made in China” controversy with the US uniforms?