46% of Americans believe in Creationism

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by khaid, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Not sure if serious, but I'll assume you are. I think you mean Isaac Newton and the theory of gravity rather than evolution. Either way you're talking about a time when people still believed in witches. True there are still some scientists today who claim to believe in God and I'd like to hear their reasons, I really would. Belief in a God relies on faith, faith is the belief in something despite a lack of evidence to support it. So why would someone who spends their career looking for evidence to try to prove or at least support various theories at the same time disregard those principles when it comes to their own understanding of the way things work? Are they professing a false belief for fear of being ostricised for not believing? Probably not, but why else would they spend most of their life looking to understand the way reality is and works but not care when it comes to their own beliefs?

I find the term religious scientist to be an oxymoron. Scientists search for truth, religious people don't care for it.

2. Could you not have kept it in the same thread as the one you started the conversation in? I think one Dillahunty fanboy thread is enough

Ok, we get that you're intolerant. Calm it down a little. Your posts are getting to be just as bad as those of the religioners. You're idolising a bald man with a beard, they idolise a bearded man in a dress. You are currently, just as, if not more fanatical as a religion nutter.

3. That's a very good question! The rest of your post was just *angry angry angry* so... but that... or is it just that I like talking about me, I don't know.

Why do I believe, well, 1-12 years of age (and to a lesser point my whole life) is simply a result of the environment I live in. You can take that both ways, some ppl have a huge rejection to God simply because their environment seems to push them that way, BUT.... I'm not THAT stubborn. I might've been if not for my whole medical ordeal at 12 SO since than it's primarily because I know I'd been MUCH worse off without God in my life. God is more than just an 'imaginative' authoritive figure, see. To me, he is primarily a calming influence. It's like stepping into a grassy meadow vs being cooped up in a lab all day. Something in that lab just drives you nuts, something in that hospital just makes you feel like nothing but death and disease (could be all the deathly and diseased patience around you...) and something outside or in your comfort zone just makes you feel better. God is that for me. I coulda' been suicidal, I coulda' been depressed, but I'm not (for the most part), I thank God and enjoy what he's given me no matter where I am.

Again, God, to me, is just the feeling of relief you get when you've escaped a tight situation. When I do I'm happy I'd been through it and happy with the results and wanna share it with someone. That is (primarily) when I call on God. That, IMO, is a good, logical,place to start. I mean it's like God is my alcahol, is drinking when your happy illogical?? You just want somebody to be happy with so many (I don't know if you do this... but I don't see you faulting others for it... to the same extent anyway) people they try to find a drinking partner and go get drunk. I can do that sure! I just think it's a more logical course of action for me NOT to destroy my liver AND feel like I've shared my joy in a way that would make others happy.

Another example of how God is largely a calming influence and (IMO) everybody should at least recognize this in their life. I have a friend, her life was a disaster before just recognizing and enjoying this 'calm' (call it yoga, call it yogart, call it alcohol, call it whatever you like but imo calling it God reaches the best compromise of laziness- as opposed to yoga and exercise- and not messin up your body with fat and alcohol) has slowed her hectic thought process and just made her life better. It's amazing how little time it took either, speaking to her now she would totally tell you she was on the fast track to hell before and now her outlook is just 1000% different.

Now some here have termed religion as 'nothing more than a way to keep the masses at bay' and yeah, alcohol won't do that (without spikes in crime... or at least public discretioncies), food won't do that, some think exercise can, and I have little to say to dispute that (if you can do it... kinda hard to do sometimes), I just find focusing on God a bit easier.

As for tolerance, it's a tough thing! Even I didn't take it as 'respect' per say. at the risk of blowing up my defense, you tolerate me just as well as I tolerate gays. So if you say your intolerant than I'm probably intolerant as well. I thought it was more about not being so mean to them :/ to their face I mean....

4. That thing is about 9 minutes too long. it only took me one minute to catch on to the joke.

5. you don't believe in witches? good to know I mean not good to know, but good to know where your coming from. I would think Witchcraft and Wiccan is more based on science than faith so... it's just good to know so I don't have to assume anything.

6. People who practice "witchcraft" whatever that's meant to be these days and Wiccans are not the witches I was talking about and you know it. I'm talking about the people actually believed had magical powers. These days most people dont believe witches have magical powers but a lot still believe that a god exists and he wants you to own slaves, kill homosexuals, and stone your children to death on the outskirts of town for not obeying you. I'm not idolising Matt, I just think he does good work regarding getting people to think about big issues like the failure of religion in general and he can basically explain things much better than i can, hence the embedded videos. Maybe it is a bit much, but I just feel so passionately about how stupid religion seems to me and why so many people see it as a good thing.

7. That's just the first section. There are people who believe this crap.

8. Show us on the doll where the bad religion touched you.

[​IMG]

9. It touched me here:

http://youtu.be/vNvnLFgH5BU

and here:

http://youtu.be/LACyLTsH4ac

and here:

http://youtu.be/6UMP3AK5jwo

and of course, here:

http://youtu.be/tTioaRXiSps

10. Religion topics merged. Don't create new a topic when one on the same subject matter already exists. This is posting 101. Next time I'm going to dumpster the new thread and fill it with scatological transvestite stories.

11. I think one religious thread is plenty.

The one key issue I tend to have with religion is that it is so often pushed onto me, especially in the region where I live. Pdraggy doesn't bring it up much unless it's germane the discussion, so I don't have any problem with whatever he wants to believe. I've discussed my differences with Christianity with him before, and they tended to be pretty civil discussions.

12. Yes I have. The OT3 stuff about Xenu and the volcanoes is absolutely hilarious too. L Ron was a truely shitty sci-fi writer, and his religious writings are just as bad. Be careful though. You might catch pneumonia if you read it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

13. That's what I thought you were going to do lol.

14. I can't believe you used to be that boy with the rat tail, wanting meat. It must've taken a lot of bravery to break free.

I'd suggest therapy but we all know that's evil.

15. You have no idea.

http://youtu.be/jsWgNOAByFk

16. You seem to have figured out what Wiccans believe by the end of that paragraph cuz it obviously isn't 'magicay (mystical)' powers?
    [quote author=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca]
    Wicca (English pronunciation: /ˈwɪkə/) is a modern pagan religion. Developed in England in the first half of the 20th century,[1] Wicca was popularised in the 1950s and early 1960s by a retired British civil servant named Gerald Gardner, who at the time called it the "witch cult" and "witchcraft", and its adherents "the Wica".[2][non-primary source needed] From the 1960s onward, the name of the religion was normalised to "Wicca".[3]
    There are many different theological positions within Wicca, such as monotheism, goddess worship (such as in Dianic Wicca), and polytheism. Followers are encouraged to choose what they wish to seek, it being a form of mystery religion.
    The religion also involves the ritual practice of magic, largely influenced by the ceremonial magic of previous centuries, often in conjunction with a broad code of morality known as the Wiccan Rede, although this is not adhered to by all Wiccans. Another characteristic of this religion is the celebration of seasonally-based festivals, known as Sabbats, of which there are usually eight in number annually.
    [/quote]

you really should stop this argument, that's 4 times now that you've been caught either partially or totally wrong. I'm not used to being this right.

17. The "practicing of magic" that Wiccans are involved in and being a Witch of old tales with magical powers are completely different things, you haven't proven me wrong on this matter. If you actually think that Wiccans do indeed posess magical powers then you're more fucked in the head than I thought. Wiccans do stuff like spiritual exercises. Sure there are some who believe stuff like they can summon elemental beings but those people are among the highest on the retard scale. My point was as a whole, as a society we've come to accept that Witches (that can actually do magic and have powers and can cast spells on people instead of just make believe magic tricks or illusions) don't exist hence we don't burn witches at the fucking stake anymore. Wiccans aren't Witches in the classic sense, they're stupid people who want to be Witches. You sound like the kind of person who would think that a member of the Jedi religion (don't get me started) actually has the force. But it's apparent you'll believe anything, no matter how ridiculous.

So why do you believe in God? If you don't want to tell me just say and I'll stop asking lol, I'm hella-curious.

18. I told you why I believe in God (well most of it anyway... the primary stuff), cuz he's a better diety than alcohol.

"The "practicing of magic" that Wiccans are involved in and being a Witch of old tales with magical powers are completely different things"

If you think magic is little more than parlor tricks and shooting sparks out of your fingertips than lol wow what are you 12? Harry Potter died huh? what a fricken scam. It's not the "same kind" of magic. ok just like the missing link is not the "same kind" of imaginary being.

"Sure there are some who believe stuff like they can summon elemental beings but those people are among the highest on the retard scale."

OMG dude once again your only admitting to be partially wrong here?

19. So you believe that Wiccans can indeed summon elemental beings? Is that what you're saying? So what is magic if it's not as you say "parlour tricks and shooting lightning from your fingers"? Also say that God is a better deity than alcohol.

1. Alcohol isn't a deity so that's really a non-answer.
    2. Are you seriously suggesting that it's either God or booze? If you didn't believe in God you would be unable to function without alcohol? WTF?
    3. Even if booze was a deity it would be better than God. Alcohol isn't evil, it's not morally bankrupt, and guess what, it's not fictional. Your God is all of the above.

20. Magic is real, I've seen David blaine