Age of Ultron

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by bfun, Mar 5, 2015.

1. I love how Captain America moves Thor's hammer just a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viK5I5eYtbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo

2. Spader is pimp but I'm over the superhero craze. I liked GotG because it was able to distinguish itself from the masses...but the 'one universe' is leading to information overload in my opinion.

[​IMG]

3. Yeah, the superhero craze is played out at this point. You know they're reaching the bottom of the barrel when they're making Ant Man with Paul Rudd. I'd like to see Hollywood go back to making real hard R action and sci-fi movies like we had in the 80's and 90's rather than more PG-13 superhero stuff. Edge of Tomorrow was the first good big budget action/sci-fi movie I've seen in ages. Say what you will about Tom Cruise, he's one of the only people left in Hollywood still making real sci-fi movies.

4. It ain't played out. It's just getting warmed up.

5. More like warmed over. The Spiderman remakes are a good example. Spiderman was just done in the mid 2000s, and two out of three of those movies were pretty good. In fact, Spiderman 2 is considered one of the best superhero movies ever made, up there with The Dark Knight. Spiderman didn't need to be rebooted, and certainly not so soon.

And it annoys me because all of the money and effort that would go into action and sci-fi movies is instead going into superhero movies. I much prefer the hard R action movies of the 80s and 90s like Terminator, Robocop, Aliens, Predator, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers to all of this superhero garbage.

6. R action movies aren't coming back anytime soon. The profits aren't big enough without the 16 and under crowd. Case in point, Robocop and Total Recall reboots are PG13.

7. And both of those PG-13 reboots sucked balls. And if our generation is anything to go by, kids love R action movies. By trying to appeal to everyone, Hollywood is currently appealing to no one with the way they do action movies.

But I see what you're saying. Adults don't really watch movies in theathers much anymore with the internet being what it is. They'll stay home and watch stuff on netflix or from torrent sites. Which just leaves kids. And theathers are not as lax as they were in our day where they'd let you into pretty much anything. So we're left with lame PG-13 superhero movies because big budget action/sci-fi movies are considered too risky and may not get adults to come back to the theaters.

8. Total Recall was a solid action movie... Kurt Wimmer & Len Wiseman have an tier 1 track record. Colin Ferrel is just box office poison, not sure why, I thought he was good in the role.

9. I stand by what I said about Robocop. It was a complete turd. The Total Recall rehash was just okay. It was nowhere near the level of the original which is one of the best movies ever made. Maybe it was Colin Ferrel. But I think it was also that the movie was very bland, while the original was as far from bland as you can get. The PG-13 rating really limited what they could do with it relative to the original, which was a nonstop over the top thrill ride of gore, hilarious one liners, badass villains, and probably the best mind fuck Hollywood has ever commited to film that other movies are still copying 25 years later.

10. The problem is that the mainstream crowd is really hard to sell to, much like your example of Edge of Tomorrow. That was an excellent movie that had no reason to flop the way it did ($$$-wise). WB tried so hard to gain the audience for that movie that they almost renamed it when it was supposed to hit home video to Live Die Repeat. Some people actually think that's the actual name of the movie nowadays.

People love the rehashed formulas. The best example is the Resident Evil franchise. How in the world did that get so many movies? I looked it up a while back and that movie actually made tons of profit. Sad days man.

11. Edge of Tomorrow didn't flop... it under-performed in North America because Tom Cruise has a bad rep. He makes most of his money in Asia these days and does modestly well in Europe. The studios know what they are getting into... TC's foreign box office is worth risking a domestic dud, especially given the tax advantages. The sad thing is the guy makes consistently good movies but it gets overshadowed by scientology hate.

EoT and Interstellar were easily my favorite movies last year. I remember thinking about the concepts by myself and with other for a long time afterwards. I can't even remember a single scene from Winter Soldier.

12. The late '70s and '80s were the birth of the superhero movie genre, so you can't complain that it's not more like the '80s!

I think the problem with sci-fi these days is that they always take it SOOOOOO seriously. Everything has to be dark and gritty. It's tiresome.

13. Here are the stats from last year. It looks like a lot of R rated movies were made but only 59 were wide release. You can check the stats in the link below. PG-13 movies gross 3 times a much as an R rated movie. There are also the profits from t-shirts, video games, McDonalds toys, that R rated movies wont get.

[​IMG]

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2=mpaa&chart=byyear&yr=2014&view=releasedate&p=.htm

14. I generally only speak for US when in these convo's since that's what we're addressing. The fact that WB seriously downplays the original title of the movie domestically is quite outrageous.

[​IMG]

15. I have to admit that I was wondering which Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow was when I started reading the thread. It sounds almost like a soap opera title. I would definitely count as someone who would recognize it faster with Live Die Repeat.