android ¹°°

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Grim, Nov 13, 2014.

1. The battery life on the Nexus 5 has always been lousy but I'm pretty sure I used to be able to make it a day and a half before it was dead. Now it's dead before I get off work.

I found these comparison KitKat vs Lolipop graphs. I Nexus 5 takes a hit with Lolipop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The new gen phones all rapid recharge making battery life trivial. I get ~50% charge in 20 minutes on the OEM cable.

3. Battery life is only trivial if you are near a charging station at any given time. Sometimes when you go on trips, you have high usage without being near a place to charge your device (happens to me alot). I generally carry an extra battery. I also invested in a portable battery charger.

4. Yeah, there are always circumstances where you're away from a wall socket. But the rapid charging lets you fill up quick before heading out. I've gotten into the habit of shutting off WiFi and Location Services until needed. I also play with brightness, and energy saver mode at certain thresholds. I can get by a long time with sporadic heavy use that way.

It's seriously worth $3 and a weekend using Tasker and playing with these settings, IMO.

5. i should probably clarify that i'm not some weirdo that carries around an extra battery and portable battery charger all the time. only on my vacations.

6. I do sit in a spot where my phone constantly looses coverage. One moment I'll have LTE, then 3G, then nothing. It goes round and round like that just sitting on my desk.

7. Try shutting off your LTE profile at work and see what happens, maybe GPS also. Are you still on the original battery?

8. Original battery. It's 1 year this month.

9. Lost my original Samsung charger andcable. Other USB charge cables don't seem to rapid charge so I keep running out of battery. Is it the USB cable, wall socket plug, or both that determine the faster charge speed? Any 3rd party recommendations?

10. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Qualcomm-Charge-Technology/dp/B00Q88Q16K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434785455&sr=8-1&keywords=Anker%C2%AE+18W+USB+Wall+Charger

I use their regular 40w IQ charger and it charges my iPhone in like an hour.

11. The cable actually makes a difference, same charger with a thin, cheap cable and I get 500mA less than when I put a better cable in it.

The quality if chargers varies so much its almost stupid.

12. I hate those dedicated charge only cables. The number of times I've tried to use them for data transfer...

13. you should invest in something like bfun's suggestion going forward. adaptive fast charging (Qualcomm quick charge on that anker) is the future. even if your current device doesn't support it, all of your future devices will.

also when you are charging, go to settings then battery. if it says ac, then you're getting a full 1 to 2 amp charge. if it just says usb, then you're getting less.

14. Who be on Samsung? The new upgrade is an utter piece of shit. My phone crashes at 75% time and slow as fuck 100% of the time. Gotta figure out if/how to rollback... ain't nobody got time for that.

Fuck it, I think I'm just gonna start carrying an iPhone + Android.

15. I see android as like Windows upgrading. problems tend to arise when you just upgrade rather than clean install. that being said, I never once ran into a problem..

have you tried factory resetting yet? that should fix your issue.

you can't roll back an upgrade unless you have have access to an unlocked bootloader. I assume the update you're talking about is 5.1 lollipop. I had the note edge on att so it would've been a while till I got it. got a note 5 now with it pre-installed. easy solution.

16. I'm a bit removed from the mobile scene... is Titanium backup still good for factory reset restoration?

Also, Note 5 review please! I saw they are running a promo for $50, but I don't have an upgrade :(

17. titanium backup requires root access no? I think your only option right now is google's backup/restore feature. not sure how well it works.

http://i.imgur.com/2N4m2Fl.png

as far as the note 5, i'd say its the most noticeable upgrade ever since my htc evo to galaxy s2 transition (i've had every note generation since the note 2). the ufs 2.0 upgrade is very huge. emmc is so passe now. literally like moving from hdd to ssd. the second thing that struck me was the display. this generation of super amoled was ridiculous. when i went note 3 to note edge, it was a little better, but this time was way more in your face. i put my phones side by side and the note 5 was wayyy brighter. its been less than a year. i got my note edge when it launched on att in november of last year. i got note 5 about a week ago on the 17th.

if you live or die by micro sd slot and removable battery though, this is not a phone for you. i used to use those two features heavily, but i'm finding its worth the tradeoffs currently. had to pay a bit more for the 64GB version.

18. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymDVr1gMEIQ

I wish these guys would just work together... every year Samsung Mobile comes up with something amazing but poorly executed. Apple basically uses them for free R&D by spending time perfecting their ideas.

19. real world use, you'd never notice. i'm not sure how often you'd open that many apps at a time in less than a minute. another point about real world use is how ios handles 3rd party apps in multitasking. after a few minutes of not being in the foreground, ios will kill the app.

20. What ideas are those supposed to be?