apple ∞ loop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alterego, Jan 27, 2011.

1. My 5S never showed the battery issues that warranted the free battery replacements. In fact, I checked the internal reporting on the batteries of both phones, and the 5S is showing that its fully charges to 89% of the original battery capacity, which isn't bad considering its age. However, my 6S is at 79% of its original full capacity, and that figure is probably getting worse because I am constantly having to charge the phone. Maybe I should try a battery swap on my 6S. The installation looks easier on the newer models.

Also, completely agree on the headphone jack being important. Its one of the reasons I haven't upgraded.

2. IT IS! SCORE!

Now we can to do the experiment with a Apple-installed battery. I'll have to make an appointment later this week when I get back from Miami.

3. #344 cmdrmonkey, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    So Apple is facing 8 class action lawsuits for slowing down phones. Also the X is selling poorly relative to projections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-x-shipment-forecasts-citing-lukewarm-demand

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-idUSKBN1EK0MH?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

http://fortune.com/2017/12/26/apple-lawsuit-old-iphones/

Is this really that surprising? It's a very, very expensive phone. I don't think face id and a marginally better screen are enough to get most people to drop $1150 + tax on a phone. Even split up into monthly Next payments, I think many have sticker shock. You could buy a high-end laptop or desktop or a 70 inch 4K TV for the same price as an iPhone X. And those things wouldn't be obsolete and ready for the trash heap in 2 years.

4. You fell prey to one of the classic blunders. This happens every year around this time.

1. Apple conspires with wall street analysts to cuts expectations too low.
    2. Dumb asses (like me) short AAPL
    3. AAPL blows away the new lesser expectations with relative ease.
    4. Stock rallies since they beat fake expectations.
    5. Short squeeze crushes anybody that fell for the scam.

That said, I might dabble with a cheap put option for the January earnings report. Anecdotally, I see a lot of people with iPhone8 but haven't run into anyone with iPhoneX.

5. Same! I've only seen one iPhone X in person, and it was a display at Best Buy when I was Black Friday shopping.

I usually upgrade every two years, but this year I had no desire. The iPhone X doesn't seem worth the price and I am afraid to lose my home button. iPhone 8 doesn't seem all that much like an upgrade over my 6S, plus I would lose my headphone jack. I may try to hold out until next round.

6. look at you guys. holding on to headphone jacks and home buttons

7. Dude Bluetooth is gayer than you

• lol lol x 1
  8. at least I know I will comfortably die of brain cancer before ww3

9. Apple is offering $29 battery replacements and issued an apology on their website. They must know they’re in deep shit for this.

10. I made an appointment at an Apple store next Saturday for the battery replacement. I am currently downloading Geekbench so I can run a benchmark of the CPU performance before and after the new battery to see if it alters the way iOS throttles the phone.

11. Remember to eat a large meal at Taco Bell before you go. As your stomach gurgles, give them menacing looks. If they don't give you your battery for $29, you know what needs to be done.

12. Okay, I ran benchmarks before and after the battery swap.

For reference, my phone is an iPhone 6S. The original battery was at 79% capacity, and would only charge to a maximum of around 1400 out 1715mAh. I just had the battery replaced by Apple for free, because of a known defect. There is a rush on batteries since they started offering swaps for $29, so I had to wait a week just for them to get the battery back in stock. New battery is reading as 104% capacity, since it is charging to 1800mAh, which is more than the original's maximum of 1715 mAh when it was new. I'm assuming this is an updated battery, since the original batteries had a defect.

I ran the CPU benchmark in the Geekbench app version 4.2.1.

Before the battery swap:

Multicore avg: 1509
    Singlecore avg: 2601
    Time to complete the benchmarks: ~ 3m45s

After the battery swap:

Multicore avg: 2520
    Singlecore avg: 4388
    Time to complete the benchmarks: ~2m58s

Disclaimer: these are obviously not scientific results. There were larger differences in results during the tests of the old battery depending on the charge the battery. The averages are based on 5 tests a piece, but I did not match up battery charge, so my testing is lacking in consistency on that point. Even still, the difference is striking. Another note: the results with the new battery are more consistent than with the old battery.

Conclusion: the throttling is very real and so far, a battery swap eliminates the slowdown. From an perception standpoint, my phone feels more responsive than it did this morning before I had the battery replaced. It is noticeable in real world use.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Nice test.

• agree agree x 1
  14. I spent years as an Android user shorting AAPL at earnings waiting for this day to come.... and when it finally does, I've turned into an avid Apple user in total denial. These short term outlooks from wall street causes a lot of blow back on the workforce.

15. I believe they said sales were stagnant but people were also paying more than average on a phone. Anyway, at this point I think any phone that can easily have it's battery replaced could in theory, last many years. Phones have simply run out of things to upgrade.

16. Whats up with my iPhone 7? People on the other end are always telling me I'm cutting in and out. I've taken the case off and the results are the same even when using a Bluetooth headset. The provider is Verizon and the signal is always strong enough. It's my work phone so I might try to get it replaced but I want to make sure there is not an easy to fix problem.

17. My brother has the same problem with his 7 Plus. It cuts in and out when I talk to him. Very annoying. He's on T-Mobile so I don't think it's carrier related.