apple ∞ loop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alterego, Jan 27, 2011.

1. There have been so many call quality problems reported with these iPhone 7s at work. I never had a problem with the 6 and my 7 was fine for the first year but now I use my personal phone for important calls. We get the last gen phones for free with our contract so maybe they give us stuff from the reject bin.

2. Classic Blunders:
    1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
    2. Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
    3. Never short AAPL stock into earnings.

upload_2019-1-29_18-49-45.png

3. I've been saying for years that these devices are too expensive for what they are, Tim Cook is a prick who doesn't know how to innovate and its about time people stopped feeding them money to churn out the same shit.

4. #364 cmdrmonkey, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro/tower#

Just fucking lol at the mac pro. 6 grand gets you an underclocked RX 580, a 256GB SSD, and a CPU that’s an overglamorized Core i7. Upgrade it at all and it costs as much as a new car.

The cheese grater case is very stupid looking.

You could easily build something better for less than a grand.

Steve Jobs, world's greatest con man and scam artist would be proud.

5. The very worst thing for me is that the SSD is tied to the T2 chip, you cannot upgrade the boot drive on this device, or even take it out to recover your files yourself.

Also according to iFixit, the case doesn't actually grate cheese.

6. I added all the upgrades and it came to $39,447.98.

7. ??? You must not have added enough.

I got it to $54,447.98 LOL

8. If Covid-19 taught me anything..... it's that Face ID fucking sucks. I think I'm going to "downgrade" to the iPhone SE. That sweet sweet Touch ID was perfection. I just didn't know or recognize it in a non-facemask world.

[​IMG]

9. #369 cmdrmonkey, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Face ID and the notch suck ass and my opinion on that hasn’t changed. The SE will probably be my next phone. The 4.7 inch form factor with Touch ID and a physical home button is perfection.

10. I'm still using the iPhone 8 for my work phone. I have no complaints.

11. So you guys may know if you follow apple news that they introduced magsafe on iphones now (iphone 12 line). Nothing related to magsafe on the macbooks back in the day, but rather a new system of nfc, magnets, and wireless charging on their iphone 12's. It essentially creates a new world of possible accessories for their phones. One of the biggest things though is that it supports wireless charging up to 15 watts now. This is basically double the previous standard of 7.5 watts for last gen iphone wireless charging

The iphone 12 doesn't come with a power adapter anymore. It comes with a lightning - usb-c cable. The new wireless magsafe charger doesn't come with a power adapter either.

Scummy, but hey, maybe just use a usb-c power adapter you have lying around. NOPE. The new wireless magsafe charger currently only charges at the boasted 15 watts with apple's NEW 20watt usb-c power adapter.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/27/magsafe-15w-fast-charging-restricted-to-apple-20w-adapter

But in other news, it's awesome seeing apple finally catering to the market for all of their needs. They used to only provide one model to the market. Then, eventually two with the iphone 5s and 5c. Fast forward to now, and they'll have 5 modern iphones of all tiers and sizes at a time at all pricepoints.

Iphone SE (2020) (4.7" LCD) - $399
    Iphone 12 mini (5.4" OLED) - $729
    Iphone 12 (6.1" OLED) - $829
    Iphone 12 pro (6.1" OLED) - $999
    Iphone 12 pro max (6.7" OLED) - $1099

12. So I ended up moving to the smaller iPhone SE(2). It wasn't as amazing as I expected...

It's a pretty steep shock going from the 6.1" XR to the 4.7" SE2. Even more shocking is the smaller phone struggles to put in a full days battery. I never ran out but I don't remember being this paranoid in a while. I didn't even consider that larger phones accomodate bigger batteries.

On the plus side. The form factor feels incredibly nice in the hand even with a rugged case. Oh yeah, Touch ID is king!

One software negative. All the notifications on the lock screen are readable without FaceID. I prefer how the newer phones "unlock" the actual content. I've gotten into the habit of leaving my phone around all over and I don't want people glancing at the alerts. But I guess Apple will always gimp to spur an upsell.

13. I think the 12 Mini has made the 4.7 inch phones less relevant. Apple finally recognized that there's a demand for small phones and addressed it with a high-end model.

14. My work forced me to upgrade to an XR. All I'm allowed to do with it is check email and make calls, so I actually prefer the smaller 4.7 inch iPhone 8.

15. Ideally I would consider the 12 Mini. But I really really hate using Face ID with a mask.

Between being unhappy with the SE and my Pebble being on its way out. I might finally cave on the Apple Watch. The Watch will let you bypass Face ID unlock. Returning the SE will more than cover the cost.

Edit:
    I totally get how they slowly, over time, suck people into their ecosystem. I could get everything I want on Android. But I don’t want to go!

16. they can suck everyone into their ecosystem because google, even after all these years, are still amateurs on their services and products. wear os for their smartwatches is pure shit. they don't know how to create a messaging service. they now settled on rcs, which still requires the user to opt in first... which we all know if you don't default that, your users will be fragmented. they killed off their google play music in favor of youtube music which doesnt even have all the features of google play music yet.

be aware of the apple watch to unlock iphone feature is in the next ios update which isn't out yet. it works so amazingly on the macbook.

the iphone xr had an unusually large battery for its generation. it was ~2900mah. the iphone se (2nd gen) has an ~1800mah battery. iphone 12 mini has a ~2200 mah battery.

17. I thought i read multiple posts about how the watch helps them avoid face id on phone already. Maybe I misunderstood about just seeing notifications.

Which Watch do you have?

18. hmm it's possible that it's people on the beta that are talking about it. it's in the next update that'll probably be out within a month or less.

I'm on the apple watch series 5 currently, upgraded from the series 1.

19. Whats wrong with Hangouts?

20. Did you get the bluetooth version or cellular? I'm thinking of going Apple Watch SE Cellular. I'm not sure I need a EKG and Blood Oxygen sensor. I don't even understand what either of those mean lol