Apple 2015: iOS9 + iPhone6s

Discussion in 'Technology' started by supersonic, Sep 5, 2015.

1. You're not going to relent in your vigorous defense of an obvious structural weak point. I'm never going to believe they hardened the shell as a progressive S-release enhancement.

What is the point of 20 more posts back and forth?

2. Every phone on earth eventually fails in three point tests or drop tests. The question is whether that failure is out of line with industry and consumer standards. As Square Trade said, the 6 series improved on the durability of the 5 series. The phone was very popular with customers. Improving your product doesn't need to be a conspiracy, and it's obvious you accept improvements by other companies like Intel without loco conspiracy theories.

3. [​IMG]

A ludicrous amount of case drop tests show screen pop outs and/or bending directly at the volume rocker. Remember these were designed to test the cases, NOT bend the phone. But when the cases fail the phones deform largely the same way in the same spot. As far as I know, Apple doesn't have a history of any exterior upgrades for S-releases.

4. How many is "ludicrous"? 2? 10? 30? I'm not seeing you post anything. Yes, Square Trade got the screen to pop on the 6 Plus but only after 6 consecutive drops onto concrete from four feet…and then they screw up their own test by intentionally prying the back from the front with their hands then saying it stopped working later on. That's hardly a real world test. Worst case scenario that I've seen from single drop tests by reputable sources is screen cracks, not bends or screen pop outs. Android Authority has a drop test where you see the phone hitting the concrete in slow motion and it's obviously not bending etc.

5. OMG, those liars at Apple were telling the truth…

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/samsung-vs-tsmc-comparing-the-battery-life-of-two-apple-a9s/

6. The summary from your article.

So as I have been saying all along, under CPU intensive loads the Samsung chip falls well behind.

Also as I have said all along, most users won't notice it but it is an issue that exists and power users may be affected.

They were able to recreate the geek bench results and the Samsung drained much quicker under heavy CPU load.

What this does show is that there is a difference between the power usage of the 2 chips and that they are not equal. Under low and moderate load they will behave nearly the same but under heavy it all goes wrong for the Samsung which makes it less desirable.

No doubt you're on the 6s now as you buy everything Apple makes, out of interest which did you get?

7. You didn't read closely enough.

CPU load in the Web GL test is at 45-50 percent and the Samsung ends up with a better score than the TSMC. It's only the extremely high 55-60 percent CPU load of the Geekbench test that registers much of a difference. I doubt you could even name an application that uses the CPU at a constant rate like that despite your claims that it's a "power user" problem. I doubt there is a single game on the app store that runs the CPU like the Geekbench test.

8. It doesn't matter that it only happens over 55%, it proves that there is a difference between the 2 chips. It means under load the Samsung is more power hungry, the more load you put on your phone, the less time it will last.

9. Nope. It's not more power hungry in the CPU load range that could be expected for mobile apps. I'm guessing that 45-50 percent sustained CPU load would probably be quite high for almost anything in iOS, and the Samsung fab compares very well for that. Apple has consistently put the emphasis on the GPU performance vs. CPU for a reason. I'm sure they're well aware of what the effective range of CPU loads are for mobile. The author of the article basically says that the Geekbench CPU usage would be highly unusual.

10. So why pay all that money for a phone with an A9 chip if you can only use it up to 50% if its potential before it hits an issue? If I paid £600+ for something i would expect it to work the same as every other £600+ device out there.

Why not just save the money and buy an iPhone5?

I wouldn't buy an i7 CPU and be happy with i3 performance because I could only use half the cores without it showing a flaw.

It's a design flaw whether or not it only happens in certain situations. Its not as good as the other A9. I wouldn't be happy at all knowing I'd paid the same but because of a lottery got an inferior part. I want to know I get £600+ performance from my £600+ device and that it if an app wants the use the CPU above 50% it isn't going to affect battery life.

11. Now you're just trolling. Mobile apps don't use the CPU like the Geekbench test. That's what Apple said. That's what Arstechnica said. It has nothing to do with 50% potential. The performance of the chips are the same. The battery difference for mobile applications is going to be 2-3%, which could also happen with TSMC vs. TSMC.

12. Perhaps related. Both Nvidia and AMD try to prevent their chips from being testing for max power draw in benchmark application because the result have nothing to do with real world efficiency. Just because someone can write a program to draw a 1.21 Giga watts out of a chip doesn't mean it wont be more efficient in real world apps than a chip that had a max 1.11 Giga watt draw. So it's possible that geekbench tests aren't relevant. I don't know how they work so it's hard to say.

13. The giveaway is that the Geekbench test isn't being followed up with videos showing the same level of battery drain in popular mobile apps. It shouldn't be hard to find a parallel if it were really applicable.

14. For everyone that wants to break their phones. Jailbreak for iOS 9.

http://en.pangu.io/

15. I ended up keeping the iPhone... nobody paid my $1100 ask on eBay!

I've come to like it quite a bit after a few weeks. I think I've aged out of being an Android customizer who spends weeks tweaking minute details into phones. I pretty much stick with 90% stock and find iOS to be a superior out of the box experience. Also, the whole 720p thing isn't really noticeable after a few days of distancing yourself from the better screens. The 6s lacks OIS, but I tested it against the Note 4 by walking around the house clicking 22 shots on each phone (one in each hand). Very scientific. The 6s probably produced ~67% usable photos, the Note 4 with OIS ~20%.

I am legit worried that Apple/carrier leasing programs are going to knock the resale value of these hard :'( Last years model is trending $100-150 lower than historically.

16. It's exactly what I was waiting for the past couple of years, so I ordered a 128 GB WiFi iPad Pro + Apple Pencil. Psyched.

[​IMG]

17. So what does one such as yourself use an iPad Pro for? I'm still struggling to see the purpose of this thing when there is already an iPad, Macbook Air, and Mac Pro.

18. Well, first of all, the screen is basically the same size as an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, so professional documents or published content is going to be presented at a more natural viewing size. The standard iPad was decent for digital books, comics, and magazines, but the screen size was always a bit of a compromise. Also, because I work in a creative field, the Pencil is a major selling point (has virtually zero lag) and it only works with the Pro currently. That's also something where the function is enhanced with the larger screen. There's a ton of professional level creative apps in iOS as well, and most of the ones I own were already updated for the Pro.

Outside of the professional uses, I love playing pinball sims in iOS (own every table ever made for Pinball Arcade) and this will be amazing for that. Streaming movies will be enhanced with the screen/four-way speaker combo. Web browsing…definitely better, as that was something else that always seemed a bit too small with the standard iPad. Blah, blah blah…more stuff to even list, really.

19. Ah okay. The pen and art thing did seem like a major feature for the Pro. Probably great for graphic designers.

So is Pinball Arcade better than Zen Pinball? I have a few of those tables.

20. I think "better" would depend on your preferences. Pinball Arcade is centered around digital recreations of solid state pinball machines that were manufactured by companies like Bally, Williams, Gottlieb, Data East, Stern etc. I prefer that vs. Zen, but there's definitely some really cool Zen tables with all of the licensing and animation stuff they do.