Ashes of the Singularity DX11 vs DX12 benchmarks

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Here are some of the first DX12 benchmarks. The results are interesting. The Fury X shows huge performace increases while the 980ti takes a bit of a hit. It could indicate that Nvidia is not ready for DX12 yet or it could mean eliminating the GPU/CPU bottle neck has really benefited AMD like many suggested it would.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/212314-directx-12-arrives-at-last-with-ashes-of-the-singularity-amd-and-nvidia-go-head-to-head

2. I'm liking the look of "Ashes of the Singularity". Could be a proper spiritual TA successor.

I'm not sure how much can be taken away from these tests until nvidia have a chance to update their drivers. Oxide have worked with AMD in the past so I would hazard a guess that nvidia have had little to no input into this benchmark as of yet.

That said as a current AMD user I am happy to see some good results in what at least resembles a real game.

EDIT: I read the article more in depth and it seems like Nvidia have had access to the game/benchmark for months. I guess we'll see what happens then. They will either continue to claim the game has "broken" msaa or somehow optimise their drivers for it. Hopefully in a way that doesn't sacrifice image quality.

3. An now ars.uk have done the test:

[​IMG]

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/

Crazy results for the 290X. I'm sure things will change, but right now it's kind of exciting to see my $400 video card that I've had for almost year stack up to a $1000 fairly new video card (local prices). Hell in the heavy stress scenes with way more draw calls the 290X pulls ahead, performance consistency (smoothness) on the whole is better also:

[​IMG]

4. Yeah the performance increases on the AMD cards is crazy. If these gains are consistent with all DX12 games there might be a lot of AMD owners that wont need to bother upgrading their cards for a while.

Looks like driver optimization wont be that big of a deal with DX12 which is another big bonus for AMD since they've never invested the resources into it like Nvidia does.