Best Game of This Generation?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmdrmonkey, May 31, 2011.

1. The punching and hypnotic swamp gas are exquisite.

2. It was a good game but if that was the best this gen then this gen wasn't very good.

A few games which were better,

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    Half-Life 2: Episode Three
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Fallout: New Vegas

3. My fave this gen was probably ESPN Front Office Baseball... I don't care what you say that's the only non-mmo (it's not even multiplayer!) I spent 100+ hours in. I'd not played much this gen anyway though...

4. The 76% on gamerankings says otherwise.

50% on gamerankings. You might also enjoy Skydive!, Big Rigs, or Stalin vs Martians.

They're back peddling on their earlier comments. I guarantee you the PS4 is right around the corner, but they don't want people to stop buying PS3s.

5. Wrong wrong wrong. Fallout was set in a wasteland, it wasn't pretty and everywhere you went the place looked like an armpit, not pleasant to explore in the least. I would often load up Oblivion and just pick a direction and head that way, listening to the soothing music and engaging in combat with anyone or anything that tried to stop me. I agree the main quest wasn't all that great but there's at least 8 times as many quests on Oblivion than on Fallout.

I've never seen the levelling system as a problem like most people have. I'll play the game one of two ways.

1. I just make a character and play the game, not worrying if I've not gotten the maximum amount of attribute plus points per level and just enjoy playing the game.

2. I make an efficient levelling character like I did a few months ago. It's a lot of work keeping a strict record of all my stat increases but it's worth it to have STR 70 and END 93 by level 11 :)

I like the way the more you do something, the better you get at doing it, it's simply genius! Fallout is a top quality game but I've always preferred Oblivion. You can't make characters on Fallout that are literally invincible like I did on Oblivion a couple of years ago. Good times. Over 500 hours and counting on that game across 360, PS3 and PC. That's why it's my favourite game of this generation and my second favourite of all time.

6. Agreed Amra, FO3 didn't have the same appeal as Oblivion.

@Cmdr:

I disagree that FO3 had a better storyline than Oblivion, I think Oblivions was much more engaging/ entertaining. More than that Oblivion was a 1000 times more enticing to explore, with MUCH better side quests to top it off. The only real plus that FO3 had over oblivion was power armour.

7. The generic Tolkien-esque fantasy setting in Oblivion bored me to tears. It's just been done to death. The world was pretty but boring, and the cookie cutter nature of it didn't help things. Sure you could go exploring, but why bother when most of the world is a cut and paste job? Fallout feels unique. How many RPGs are set after a nuclear holocaust? Just the Fallout series that I know of. I also thought the perks in Fallout gave you the opportunity to make your character much more unique than you could in Oblivion. The leveling system in general was way better in Fallout 3. Also, the combat in Oblivion flat out sucked. The weapons didn't feel like they were connecting with anything, and it was just a lot of button mashing. But the VATS system, especially with the bloody mess perk, was awesome. Seeing massive gore flying everywhere never got old.

Not that great is an understatement. It was horrible, and very short. A main quest that bad is pretty much inexcusable in an RPG. Another problem with Oblivion was the crappy voice acting and generic/robotic feel of the NPCs. It's not completely fixed in Fallout 3, but it's certainly a lot better. You can at least tell the characters apart. Oblivion was a cookie cutter world filled with killer robots. Literally. I remember the NPCs being so robotic they would run off cliffs and die trying to get to me.

Bethesda is mostly just good at making game engines. I think the reason Fallout 3 is so good is because a lot of Interplay's good ideas from the earlier Fallout games carried over.

You can do the same thing in Fallout. Get some power armor and specialize in energy weapons and it's rapeage time. What you can't do in Fallout is make a Jack of all trades character, which you really shouldn't be able to do in an RPG anyway. You can make a jack of all trades in Oblivion.

8. Yeah but you're not literally invincible now are you?

Buh? All you do on Fallout is assign points, YAWN! Like that hasn't been done to death. I prefer getting better at things by practicing rather than levelling up doing other things and putting some points onto the stat. On Oblivion every time you perform an action your skill in that action goes up, meaning that every character is 100% custom tailored to each individual player's style. You don't have to work the make your character fit your style, it happens all on it's own, awesome. I do see why you prefer Fallout though and you raise some valid points. I really like Fallout but as an overall package I just prefer Oblivion. I didn't mind the voice acting or robotic NPCs. Only Skyrim can dethrone Oblivion from my favourite game this generation. We shall see.

9. I wish!

10. I enjoyed the main quest of Fallout 3 more than Oblivion's but thought the world of Oblivion, with its varied landscapes and huge number of sidequests, was the better game in total. If it didn't have a shit levelling system it would be even better.

My 3 choices would be:

1. Oblivion
    2. Borderlands
    3. Fallout 3

Those are the stand out single player games. Online wise, I'd have to consider MW2, Resistance 2 and maybe Killzone 3 which seems most excellent on my experiences so far.

11. You hear me monsly? I said Ghostbusters was awesome. Possible best game of the generation.

12. If I didn't know you, I would have think that you make this up to have fun of me. It's just that I feel exactly the same about the game :)

I can't stop wondering that there are so many fans of Oblivion here. I know a lot of gamers from other forums and statistically the number of Oblivion fans here in relation to the total number of forum members is rather unusual.

13. I think it's because of the fact, in Oblivion, you can have an epic fight with a freakin crab. What other game can say that? Hell I even did that in Morrowind. Ran up to some random peasant in town and had a 30 minute fist fight with him.

14. Wasn't there that "authentic" historical game where you had to attack a giant enemy crab for massive damage?

15. Your opinion of that game is quite unusual. Or should I say insane? Yes, INSANE.

16. Something you might also enjoy:

[​IMG]

It was the killer robot AI I talked about earlier. It would follow you to the ends of the earth and even run off cliffs trying to get to you.

17. Farmville

18. It's not out yet but I'll say The Last Guardian.

Ooh risky

19. Well the votes are in and based on fun factor alone Batman: Arkham Asylum wins best game of this generation.

20. Wait for Arkham city! ;)