bfun buys a monitor

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Jun 3, 2015.

1. The ASUS PG348Q is the exact same, you have to overclock it to 100Hz. The newest revision of X34 is also the same. That's just how that panel is for some reason or another, and it's only cause of the GSync module that they can OC to 100Hz, the Freesync equivalent is 75Hz. The actual panel company is called AUO, I'm not entirely certain what their relation to Acer or ASUS is, but all of those diplays I listed use the same AUO panel (one 27" and one 34").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AU_Optronics

2. Are you noticing any burn-in on your monitor? I'm getting it pretty regularly now. It fads over time but it's kind of annoying. I guess I'm at the 3.5 year mark on it. I wouldn't feel too bad if I decide to get a new one. I'm kind of thinking about going to a 27" but after having a 32" for so long that might be difficult.

3. #104 cmdrmonkey, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    No burn in on mine yet.

I figure I'll just use it until it dies, then use it as an excuse to get something that does VRR. There are often good deals on 27" g-sync and freesync monitors, but I don't think I could go back to something smaller than 32". I'm hoping that with HDMI 2.1 coming, and nVidia now allowing g-sync on freesync monitors, we will see prices come down.

4. This is what I'm seeing. I've turned the monitor off and back on and this is the BenQ start screen. If you look across the top 1/3 you can see the retained image from the browser. It looks a bit worse in person. Also note the uneven lighting especially the white vertical strip on the left. The white blobs at the top are cause by windows behind me. Burn in goes away after being off for awhile but it persist while the monitor is on and is more noticeable on lighter colors.

[​IMG]

I'm either going to get a 27" IPS or a 32 curved VA. Some of the new IPS panels can beat or match a VA panel in most every category. Color, contrast, refresh rate, pixel response, and input lag. I went to the store to look at a few and I forgot how nice they can look. I'm also wondering if the smaller pixels will be kinder on my eyes. The down side is they start at about $550 for a 27". A 32" VA can be gotten for $400.

This is one IPS I'm interested in

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ebbr=1&RandomID=19556739516821720190128100339

Here is a 32" VA.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475015

5. Oh wow I can see your browser tabs burned into the screen.

6. The quest is almost over. The first monitor I tried was the Acer Nitro XV272U. Acer just released it and I'm pretty sure I got one of the first ones sold in the states. For the most part everything was great. Text was sharper, games looked terrific, FreeSync worked perfectly with Nvidia. It's most notable flaws were back light bleed, which was bad, and the IPS glow which was expected. It also had a third killer flaw. It would randomly flash vertical lines about 5 times a day. It happened so fast that a person could almost miss it. I returned the monitor and Amazon actually stopped selling it due to reported customer issues. My understanding is that new panel is having the same issue in multiple monitors. Anyway, as nice as it was, I decided it was too difficult to go back to 27" after using a 32" for so long.

So I started looking at 32" and it turns out there are only a few panels to choose from. In the realm of VA, there are only the Samsung curved 32" and maybe two Au Optronics flat. There are also a few 32" IP panels but most are limited to 100Hz or under and don't have compatible adaptive sync with Nvidia. Almost all 32" VA panels in use are the Samsung curved panel. I think LG and Pixio are the only brands that use an Au Optronics. I decided on the flat LG 32GK850F because most reviews showed poor color and light uniformity on the curved panels. The LG also has the best pixel response time for a VA monitor. For the most part, it's a nice improvement in most areas over my old BenQ. I think the only thing that might be worse is the color shift with off angle viewing which isn't good, but still better than a TN. It's also just a bit too vibrant for me, but I was able to fix that in the Nvidia control panel. The bad attempt at a slim bezel also annoys me but I'm getting used to it. Free Sync seems to be working with Nvidia but I've only tested a few games.

I actually have to return the LG because it's has a dark spot defect, but I've already ordered another one. I almost ordered the Viotek GN32DR 32, which is regarded pretty well, but I didn't want to deal with returning another monitor if I didn't like it. If I get another bad LG I'll try the Viotek.

7. Buying monitors kind of sucks. No brick and mortar places around me carry high end monitors. I ended up returning several monitors last time I bought one.

8. My 17" Dell Ultrasharp finally bit it... I pushed the power button and that was enough to kill it after all these years.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 24" or 27". What is the monitor sweet spot these days to surf the internet and watch Youtube?

9. 27" 1440p IPS.

10. lol my monitor started working again. Still going to be on the lookout. What about a VA curved display? I've always thought curved displays were scams but physically look aesthetically pleasing in a room.

11. Most say curved is a necessity for super wides but curved on anything less than 32" is kind of pointless. Color uniformity can be worse on a curved. VA are very affordable and good at most things but great at none. The 32" 1440p VA panels typically have the worst text clarity due to the pixel shapes.

12. #113 cmdrmonkey, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    My 32" BenQ has started burning in. On the market for a new main display.

This Asus monitor ticks a lot of boxes for 400 bucks. 27", IPS, 1ms, 1440p, 165hz, freesync/g-sync

It's basically like all of the stuff from their ~$900 ROG Swift monitors from a few years ago trickled down to the mainstream segment.

There's also a nearly identical Dell gaming monitor for ~$50 more.

It's crazy how far they've come with these things. VA and IPS with TN - like response times. IPS panels that actually have good contrast and deep blacks. Freesync and g-sync basically being standard features and there being almost no premium for them and the monitors can usually do both.

13. Dude, you need to go 21:9 (or 21:10) ultrawide! That extra screen space makes a big difference. But I think it does require you to compromise on some other specs so it depends on how picky and sensitive your eyes are. But we are all old with bad vision, so get the ultrawide.

14. #115 cmdrmonkey, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    My 1070 would shit itself on an ultrawide. And I'm not paying scalper prices for an RTX 20 or 30 series card.

15. The last IPS I tried went back for horrible back light bleed. Aside from that it looked great.

16. I'm going to stick to buying from Amazon. I want easy returns.

17. Yeah, as much as I try to support other stores now. Big ticket electronic purchases are still from Amazon (or Microcenter). I kept that damaged LG monitor a month before returning it. Bought and setup the replacement before I did.

18. #119 cmdrmonkey, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    I ended up going in a different direction with my monitor purchase. Bought a Lenovo Thinkvision P27 27" 1440p IPS monitor with a built-in USB-C Thinkpad docking station. It works really well with our Thinkpads. Just pop one cable in and they are instantly converted to desktops. My wife has an X1 Carbon and likes that it has this functionality. It does DisplayPort daisy chaining, so you can easily run two monitors off of one laptop. Also has ethernet. No backlight bleed or stuck pixels. Minimal IPS glow. They've come a long way with IPS panels. It actually has good contrast and blacks. The build quality is the best I've ever seen on a monitor. The construction and styling are very similar to the Thinkpads. It has a great stand. I really have no complaints. If you are on the market for a professional monitor, I think this is a great alternative to the Dell Ultrasharps. Lenovo has free returns on monitors, so there's no risk involved. The coupon codes and healthcare discount I used got it down to $305. Shipping was a little slow, but whatever.

Edit: tried it in some games and it works very well. Response time defaults to 4ms but you can overdrive it to 1ms. Feels very smooth. Like playing on a TN panel. Doesn't have g-sync or high refresh rate but I knew that going in.

@bfun

What did you ultimately end up going with after your BenQ died? You said you were returning or maybe exchanging the LG.

19. LG 32GK850F-B. I got it on sale two years ago for $425. For the most part it's pretty exceptable. My biggest complaint is that text isn't very sharp. It has to do with the shape of the pixels on the panel. I think they are long rather than square. It seems to be a common issue with 32" VA panels. I had a 27" IPS before that but I returned it pretty quickly. The colors were fantastic but the light bleed was horrible.