Can\'t record from speakers, need Stereo Mix but can\'t get it.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Armadeadn, Sep 13, 2011.

1. I'm trying to use a screen capture program to record some stuff but it won't record audio from the speakers. I can record sound from the microphone but that's no good. I've read that I need to enable either "Stereo Mix" or "What u hear" in the recording properties but the won't appear because I have windows 7. I've been bounced around from site to site for the last 45 minutes now and I've gotten nowhere, can anyone help?

2. hmm last time I did this I just d/led audacity and pressed record.

3. I have audacity but I'm pretty sure it just records from the microphone and not from the speakers.

4. I have the options right in my sound recording properties. I assume you're using onboard sound? Probably realtek stuff?

[​IMG]

5. Yeah that's where the option is supposed to be but apparently windows 7 doesn't have it so I was wondering if anyone knew where and how I could get it.

6. That's actually a picture I took in Windows 7.

7. oh. i wonder why it doesn't shot up on mine then. I made "sure show disabled devices" was checked.

8. yeah I have something similar for my Xonar... but I don't know how that works on integrated sound. I'm sure you could.

9. This is all that appears with "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" both ticked.

[​IMG]

10. Maybe you need to reinstall your audio drivers? Can you see your audio devices in the device manager?

11. I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tend not to mess about with drivers and stuff because I've heard it's pretty easy to balls everything up.

12. If you want to see devices that are not connected/hidden in device manager open command (either start/run/cmd or winkey + r/cmd or Start/programs/accessories/command). A black command window will appear and then enter the following.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

press return then type

start devmgmt.msc

Device manager should now be started. Click view and press 'show hidden devices' and then look again.

13. I took your advice but the only new thing to appear in the list was a "storage volume controller" and it's "shadow copies". I don't think it's a case of trying to enable the Stereo Mix but more of a case of having to get it. I'm fairly certain it's not on my system.

14. OK do you have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable? You can plug one end into your speaker/mic out port and then the other into your line in and that will work!

Its the silly way round and you won't be able to hear what is going on while you do it but its an option.

15. Hmm, I think I do have one of those but I'm not liking the idea of not being able to hear the sound live. Oh well, I'll just have to resign to the fact that my pc simply can't record straight from the speakers... either that or buy the full version of fraps, that records audio strangely.

16. if your pc has front ports that work simultaneously with the back ports than you can listen to both :) you can also buy a cheap soundcard...

17. I think Armadeadn is using a laptop, so adding a soundcard probably isn't practical...

18. Correct sir.