Cell Phone USB Chargers

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Are the new cellphone USB charging cables all the same? My cable has USB connector on one side and something that looks like a micro USB connector on the other. I need second cable and was just wondering if I can buy a generic one.

2. How new are we talking about? 2008ish were mini usb and 2009ish to present has been micro usb.

3. I just took a look at wikipedia. It looks like there is a Micro-A, Micro-B, Mini-A, and Mini-B. My phone kind of looks like a Micro-B.

4. A and B are part of one cable. B end goes into your device and A end goes into your PC/charger.

Just use micro usb cable as your search string.

5. The only USB cable I ever had a problem with was a Belkin for the ipod. The fucking thing would only charge and I couldn't use it for data transfer.

6. That's pretty common for a lot of 3rd party iPod cables.

Okay then. I just get any old cable. I didn't want to wast my money on something that didn't work.

7. It might be one of the really thin USB connectors, depending on the phone. What phone is it?

8. LG Cosmos Touch

9. Isn't there some new rule now, or agreement between phone manufacturers, that they'll all use the same charging and connectivity port? My samsung is Micro USB and I think Blackberrys and iPhone 4's are too.

10. There is but it imonly affects new phones coming Out very recently.

If the USB connector is thin, like 2mm and doesn't have indented sides, it's probably the mini B, mini A is that standard mini USB connector.