Chat Room

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by cmdrmonkey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. What are the odds we'll be seeing roof Koreans before 2021?

[​IMG]

2. And we got these cosplayers storming the Minneapolis capitol because they don't want to wear masks. Ironically, they are all wearing masks.

[​IMG]

3. I think they did a pretty good job with their Tom Clancy’s The Division Cosplay. I’d give their costumes at least a 6/10.

• like like x 1
  4. As expected, Apple announced the move to the ARM instruction set and their own SoCs in Mac's. Anyone who's buys an x86 mac now is buying themselves an expensive paperweight as more moves over to ARM.

Also OS 11, the OS10 name lasted a good long while.

Developers who use Mac OS with windows VMs are moaning. Windows has had an ARM build for a while but hasn't taken off, perhaps this will push things along. If Devs are making an ARM version for OS 11, might as well make one for Windows at the same time.

This is another big blow for Intel. AMD have given them a massive headache with Ryzen, Epyc and Threadripper and now they losing the Apple revenue.

5. It will be interesting to see where we'll be in 10 years. The future of computing will be in large data centers with systems that look nothing like they do today. If ARM starts to win out there, and I think they might, the x86 will be dead in a decade.

6. There have been internet nerds saying for years that RISC will take over again and CISC will be abandoned due to its need to run everything from the past 30 years and as a result being so big and expensive.

Aren't cloud providers like Amazon already in to ARM in a big way?

Be interesting to see what the big 2 console manufacturers do, they've moved to x86 to standardise things, might only get this generation out of it before they go back to alternatives and maybe start using ARM themselves. It would give them another back compat headache they probably didn't see coming unless x86 emulation moves on. Nintendo of course are already there.

7. Yeah. I think Amazon makes their own ARM processor and they charge less per hour than Intel CPUs. Eventually the customer might not have a choice and Amazon will only sell ARM processor time. If done right the customer wont even know it's happening. Now with apple using ARM I have to think there is a chance ARM will become a lot more popular. I don't know about you, but my job is moving hundreds of servers to the cloud. I believe the days of businesses running their own servers will soon be over. I spent a week playing with Microsoft Azure and it's impressive. I could get new Windows servers up and running in minutes or even spin them up on demand. If a web server gets slammed, several duplicates can pop up to spread the load and then delete themselves as soon as they're not needed. Even the network is going virtual. I could pick any brand of firewall or router and create it.

8. Azure and 365 have grown in to monsters, so many options and screens these days. I'm currently working my way through the compliance library and marking off stuff as I go. With the move to more agile working I'm making sure that there are as few cracks in the system as I can, going to take a long time to get through it.

I currently run a hybrid environment, moving active directory exclusively to the cloud is something I haven't plucked up the courage to do yet.

9. Does anyone here have an account on gog.com? I didn't want to make yet another account for a games distribution service, but I keep seeing Cyberpunk 2077 popping up for just $46 on cdkeys for GOG.

10. I've had an account there for a long time but most of my games were purchased before they had a game client. The Witcher 3 might have been the only game I ever played using their client. I don't remember having any issues with it. GOG and CD Projekt are both based in Poland and anti-DRM, so it kind of makes sense they've teamed up.

11. Sounds decent. I'll probably buy it for GOG. Ideally I'd prefer to have most things together on Steam, but this should be fine for a CD Projekt game.

12. I've always liked how GOG (Good Old Games) operated. They started off by selling really old and hard to get PC games like System Shock and the Gold Box series. A couple of years ago they started the FCK DRM movement but I'm not really sure what it does. They've always been close to going under. They're a definite underdog in the game distribution business.

13. #6015 bfun, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I thought this was pretty good parody of the old Apple commercial against conformity.

14. The end is nigh. The sky is black and raining ash. Tomorrow we will have the largest temperature drop in 150 years. Power outages are expected.

[​IMG]

15. You’re about to experience a real life version of the Scorcher movies from Tropic Thunder.

16. [​IMG]

Air quality in Seattle is poor for sensitive folk. I’m sealing the windows and removing the intake hoses on the ac.