Comcast Sucks

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by bfun, Feb 20, 2015.

1. So several months ago I went to my Comcast office and got a cable card. I was told there was no charge for the first card and a $1.50 charge for a second card. That's what I expected and it says as much on their website.

However I've been getting billed for $9.95 a month for my cable card. I get on the Comcast chat and the tech says I've been misinformed. Using the cable card will cost me $9.95 a month. So now I got to go down to the main office and get this figured out.

2. Are you getting HD? I played this game with my cable provider with a BYOD. The $1.50/mo cablecard just restored pre-DTV content. They charged extra for 'premium' devices, channels, and HD content. Stupidly, they leased their own HD Tivo for the same price. I sold mine and got theirs. Never bothered to return it after cord-cutting and wasn't billed. Winning!

In all honesty, I'd tell you to cut your losses and give up. I bet this will be a reoccurring thing every month, and the aggravation is not going to be worth $10. Rotate promos between you and your wife, or roll the dice on a retention deal.

3. Yeah I get HD but it's free for 2 years. They charge me $10 for it every month then give me $10 back.

It looks like the latest policy is the card is free to rent and if you don't use a Comcast receiver you can also use the card for free. If you are already using a Comcast receiver they charge $9.99 a month because it's considered a second receiver.

I believe the FCC forced Comcast to allow people to use the cards for free but they are using a loophole to charge people for the cards if they already have a Comcast receiver.

4. Continued...

Went to Comcast today to return my cable card. I ask the guy to verify if there should be a charge for it. He says there should be no charge for it. I said well your phone support says there should be a charge and I am being charged. He said no you're not and I said yes I am. So he shows me the his screen with my bill on it points out the $0 charge for the card. I point to the line underneath that one that shows a $10 charge for the card. So he looks a bit confused but then removes the charge and tells me I'll get credit for all my past months that I paid. We shall see.

5. My Comcast data cap only just started last month. They'd been in a lawsuit over it in my state for a few years. I guess they won. The data cap isn't that big of a deal to me but I'm betting net neutrality goes away in 2017 since Trump is opposed to it.

6. A lot of British ISPs still offer connections with a data cap but for only £5/month more you can get the unlimited version. It is only for the really cheap people.

BT 52down/10up 25GB is £29.99/month
    BT 52down/10up unlimited is £34.99/month

Both include 100GB cloud storage, free superhub and access to BT sport premium channel*.

*I think you may have to pay extra if you want it in UHD but I could be wrong.

7. So I recently changed my Comcast package as it ballooned out of control. I managed to get a pretty good deal on a very limited package...or so I though. After my first bill came in I noticed it was about $30 higher than expected. Comcast had shipped me an extra cable box that I did not ask for and it wasn't part of the package, but they were happy to charge me a monthly fee for it. They also started charging me for a cable card that I had been using for free for several years. I told the service rep that the law states they have to provide the card for free and he said that's only true if I ask to have it for free. I said I had done that and it had been free for years. Then he said I have to ask for it to be free every time I change the plan or they will start charging for the cable card again. Anyway, they cancelled services for those two things and then latter billed me ~$200 for them which they refunded when I returned them into the store.

8. I'm currently paying them $73/ month for their fastest available Internet-only plan, but that expires in February.

9. My plan is 140 channels on one TV and 400Mbps Internet. The plan is $90 but all the local TV fees and tax brings it to $113.

10. i don't give a damn about tv and live in a google fiber competitive area, so i have att fiber 1gbps for $70/month. MUHAHAHAHAHA

11. I'm pretty sure my wireless network will get congested before I max out 400Mbps.

12. Well I finally cut the cord. I switch my Internet to 1 gig fiber with a local company and I didn't have a compelling reason to stick with cable TV. Comcast wanted $81 a month for on their basic cable package on one TV. Hulu had everything I needed for $55, plus I can watch it on any device. The only channel I lost was Comedy Central.

13. #14 cmdrmonkey, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    We cancelled Cable TV a few months ago. Shaved $150 off our monthly Comcast bill. We realized as a household that almost everything we watch is on Amazon, Netflix, or Disney+. We also get good OTA reception for network TV stuff, and can just torrent the odds and ends we can’t find elsewhere. Basic cable is mostly retarded reality shows that we don’t watch. So we were just throwing $150 away every month. I knew the writing was on the wall when I would see my wife using the apps on the Comcast boxes to watch Netflix and Amazon and that she was almost never actually watching cable. No point in flushing $1800/year for something we don’t watch.

14. My kids will only watch TV as a last resort after I shut off all their other electronics. It's a new generation and on demand content is all that matters. I've pretty much blocked youtube from them because there is too much weird shit happening on there. Look up Elsa Gate if you haven't yet. They seem to be going through an injection phase.

15. #16 cmdrmonkey, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    I've been having intermittent connection issues for a few days.

The automated system on their website did a better job than the overseas call center idiot who jerked me around for an hour and didn't resolve anything. It instantly detected an issue with the connection on their end and scheduled a repair appointment. Good thing the connection came back up for a moment so I could use their website.

I already know what the issue is anyway. Everything outside is corroded to shit because of the Florida humidity. Roughly every five years or so they have to come out and replace everything outside. They've already done it twice before at this house.

16. They had to come to my house once and run a new underground cable to the street. No idea how it went bad but it did.

17. The cable comes off of a pole and is just pinned to the wall outside. They drilled some holes in the walls and shoved the cable through into different rooms. It's exposed to the elements so it just corrodes over time.

It's janky as hell, but it's how they do the cable on most of these old Florida houses.

18. I'm stuck with them for another year. I'm on a 1200 Mbps plan for $75/ month, a contract I agreed to before the price ballooned from the previous promotion expiring this month. Seemed pretty decent for the price, but I'm not crazy about the company. I wish I'd investigated Verizon more. A friend told me they've been improving on the internet front quite a bit after I'd already obligated myself to Comcast for another year.

BTW, I'm using WiFi 6 on my PC now due to the layout of my new place not making a direct wired connection very practical where my PC is located (in a cat-free safety zone). The connection seemed OK, but unfortunately the game I was playing, Warzone, crashes to desktop constantly. I will need to try some other games for testing.

19. #20 cmdrmonkey, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    That's a really good deal for that speed tier.

Comcast is fine until you have problem. They're absolutely horrendous to deal with.