Dark Souls: Demon Souls Sequel

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phisix, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Isn't the game world of Dark Souls fantastic? The way each area has such a unique look yet flows into the other regions is fantastic. It's one of the most impressively integrated game worlds I've seen.

2. True, it's monumental and fascinating. It just keeps you thinking about it.

I barely remember a game with so much variety in design. And still, as you said, everything is so well integrated. My last memorable moments were: looking around the Sen's Fortress and seeing other levels and then seeing the Anor Londo for the first time.

I just think if I am prepared enough to progress. I am at level 51, haven't killed Sif yet and haven't visited the Asylum for the second time. Just after ringing the second bell I levelled a bit and rushed through the Fortress (with suprising ease after I got the Ligthing Spear).

From what I recognize, the only way back is through the Fortress. What would you do, advance further down Anor Londo or go back and at least visit the Asylum to get the Doll (I saw the Painting but of course I wasn't able to enter it).

3. There is a shortcut in send fortress, did you open it? If not jump the gap on the walkways near to top and go into the tower with the merchant in. Go all the way to the bottomm to get the key. Head back up and into the middle tower, the room underneath the fog gate room and open them cage in the middle, step in and ride down. Shortcut up and down is now open.

As for getting the doll now I would beat anor londo first as afterwards you can warp between some bonfires.

If you are going for the platinum trophy when you have the lord vessel DO NOT talk to the head near firelink shrine, can't remember his name. You have to talk to the other one to unlock one of the covenants but this does mean beating the four kings in new londo ruins first. When you beat them he will appear near the bonfire in the boss room. If you don't care about the trophy place the lord vessel and you can go after any of the 4 lord bosses.

4. Great. I got the key but haven't used it.

5. I've just completed some pending tasks, mainly killing the Stray Demon in Asylum and The Lone Wolf Sif. Back to Anor Londo, I am gonna push forward.

[​IMG]

6. I was very unhappy the first time I discovered the Stray Demon and lost quite a few souls.

7. My impression so far is that the game becomes easier the more you play it.

For example, I died like 20 times on Taurus, 50 times on Capra Demon and now I kill Queelag in 3 attempts, Gapling Dragon in 2, the Giant in Sen's Fortress in 3 attempts, Sif in 2 and the Stray Demon in 5.

I think I just finally got the feeling that it is not enemies I should be afraid of but the opposite ;)

8. Was you fighting Taurus and capra before 1.05? The game was a lot harder before the current patch which may explain it.

9. I've made a short research and it seems that the latest patch has been released almost a year ago. I probably have it since then.

It seems that there are changes in the item drop rate, some weapon stats are different now. None of these sound like the game is "a lot" easier now, at least I am probably too lame to notice ;)

Right now I make my way through The Painted World, will try to finish it before Anor Londo.

10. You got a lot less souls from kills pre 1.05 which probably made it feel a lot harder as you would be running around and fighting bosses at lower soul levels as grinding took a lot of effort for not many souls.

Mobs and bosses also hit a lot less hard now and seem to have less HP. Pre 1.05 the Capra Demon one hit killed me on many occasions just walking through the fog. Now with any character no matter how low the soul level and how reckless I am I can kill him easily.

Humanity drop rate was also massivly increased so you are not hollow more often and can summon more. I actually had enough (30) to give Quelaan (Quelaag's sister) to open up the shortcut in Lost Izalith and get the sunlight maggot easily on my last playthrough. That is after spending loads kindling bonfires etc.

11. Yet another observation is that the difficulty comes from lack of knowledge. With the official guide, I was able to find plenty of crucial items, including the Spider shield, few different sets of armor etc. I can't imagine doing all this without the guide as rare items seem to be hidded quite well. For example, the ring which allows you to run on water, found during the revisit of the asylum. But the key is somewhere in Firelink and if you do not have it, you can't pick the ring as the door is sealed.

I don't find it disturbing, though, rather I enjoy walking around with a map in front of me, it's just like walking around a foreign city you visit during your holidays. Eithet the game is easier or I finally got a good gear - since few hours I really feel I control the game and not the other way around.

12. I've passed Ornstein and Smough with a significant help of online players. Great fight but I was merely assisting while they did the job. This was my first time to test the online coop, I should have done this before at Capra.

13. Now your at the real business end of things. You can choose where you go next but if you want platinum you will have to do 4 kings first to use lord vessell after talking to other chap, not one at firelink. I would go....

Four Kings (for covenant if going for plat)
    Bed of Chaos ( To get sunlight maggot in lost izalith)
    Nito (Tomb of giants is easy now you have maggot)
    Seath ( Not a fan of area or the boss, just getting to him in crystal caves is a mission with the invisible platforms above instant death pit)

14. I got the bejesus kicked out of me the first time I fought them.

15. I thought I could wander around a little bit so that I could tune up my character.

Since it is my first build, I have made some possible mistakes in the development path. For example, I am now at 69th level and I invested mainly in Strength and Endurance. However, at least 20 or 25 points have been lost on other stats. And now I carry at least three interesting weapons which all require Strength of 50 whereas my current Strength is just 30 or 31. To correct this mistake, I would have to gain yet another 20 points of Strength which doesn't sound like a big deal - my favorite farming spot is the Phalanx in the Painted World.

I think I could possibly be able to pass them on my own, however the fight is surely significantly more difficult than any previous one. Frankly, last boss fights (Sif, Priscilla, Iron Golem) were surprisingly easy and this one was not.

16. I always find myself killing Ornstein first, whenever I watch videos online people always go for Smough but I find it easier to get rid of Ornstein. As a result I have never had the Dragonslayer Spear.

Last time I fought them I had the Black Knight Halberd +4 or +5 and so they went down very quickly.

17. Has anyone played the Artorias DLC? I've just started, got into the Sanctuary and my body is ready for the challenge.

18. I haven't actually played it but I have seen it. The 4 bosses hit harder, are faster and have more HP/defense than the main game. They really did mean it when they said prepare to die.

19. Again got few evenings to progress into the game. My character is now 85th level and with strength of 50, I can wear a full Havel set including the shield and I wield the Dragon Sword (the big one). With this, I beat all four lords rather easily, the Bed of Chaos was the most irritating and Four Kings were easiest (I got them in second or third approach with no sweat at all by just slashing with the Zweihander +13).

Now, as I am ready for the final boss, I just don't want to. I think I will wander to and fro, kindle some bonfires, try to find more coolectibles so that when I start the NG+ I will have easier time. Also, surprisingly, I still cannot beat Artorias from the DLC which leaves few hours before I attack Gwyn.

Really, really great game. I think I am ready to name it the best game I've ever played and it took the title from Super Metroid - so it probably sets a new champion for a decade or two ;)

20. The DLC bosses are a lot harder than the first ones. The key to Artorias is to be quick, hit and run if you have to. Don't be afraid to remove some armour to make yourself quicker!

Gwyn is actually a bit easy, if you can parry then you can destroy him in no time.

Really looking forward to DS2, top of my list of upcoming games.