Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chi, Feb 16, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

Dead Island is a survival horror first-person shooter with RPG elements.

It is an open-ended game, centered on the challenge of survival on a zombie-infested island. The game uses a first-person perspective. But the game will be far beyond a typical first-person shooter experience, mainly due to a bigger emphasis on melee combat, role-playing elements and a clear focus on story-telling.

It's a sandbox setting on a tropical island, apparently with 4 player drop in/out co-op.

[​IMG]

LOL thread stealage

2. Teaser trailer.

3. Wow, disturbing trailer. Could be a good game, surprisingly enough, I still don't think there are enough good zombie games.

4. I think this is coming out for the PS3 as well, isn't it?

5. According to Wikipedia yes.

6. Although IGN does not have it stated that way, but then they could have just done a preview for the Xbox version.

This will be a cracking game, but I would have preferred it if it was in 3rd person instead.

7. Very beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Quite moving for a game in general, especially this genre lol

8. btw, for those curious about this game, the way it's described sounds like borderlands style. 4 player in open world map with rpg elements.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high though. it's from techland.. if you guys remember chrome from years ago. lots of good ideas but not executed to well. hopefully they come through on this one

9. I actually enjoyed Chrome quite a bit back in the day. The levels were always huge and detailed and I liked the vehicle sections, plus it's inventory management system was kind of interesting.

10. lol shows how much i read the console sections.. i made a thread of this game last night in general gaming. i blame chi since this game is multiplatform

i went and moved the thread to general gaming and merged my thread here

11. Don't blame me! I didn't even make this thread, Phisix did but some bug meant there was no first post, so I kindly filled it out for him and stole his glory.

12. since ghost recon future soldier got uber delayed and was one of the only games i was looking forward to this year, dead island better be good.

techland just threw the spotlight on themselves releasing a trailer of this magnitude.

13. Pretty detailed gameplay walkthrough. Looking good. It's basically a l4d with quests.

14. It looks good to me. Like a cross between Left 4 Dead, Far Cry 2 and Borderlands.

15. Single player gameplay footage from E3 2011

Trailer

I really wish they would show more of the coop multiplayer. It seems interesting from what they've said so far.. hopping in and out of the game, dont have to worry about who's the server.. etc

16. (PC download) Dead Island preorder from Green Man Gaming - $33.96 (Registers on STEAM!)

Use the 20% off voucher SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC to bring the final price to $33.96

The game uses Steamworks so it can only be played through Steam.

People who pre-order will also get the pre-order DLC for free:

Quote :
    Blood Bath DLC Features:

4 deadly and hazardous Arenas with endless waves of zombies

Play in single or co-op multiplayer!

Loot XP and items and bring them over into your campaign

Leaderboard to challenge your friends

New gruesome weapon: Sonic Pulse Grenade

http://slickdeals.net/?sid=10514&u2=http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/dead-island/

17. Did 4 pack preorder on steam about 2 weeks ago. Played it at midnight last night with one of my friends for 3 hrs.

The quest system highly resembles Borderlands. Battle system is more complex than your regular fps games. Since melee is your main method of combat, you'll be mainly kicking/stomping or beating your target into submission. You can target limbs to break/cut off. For example, there are thug zombies that are very hard to take down, and one swing by them will drop you on the ground. So what you want to do is run in, take a swing at their arms to break them, and them beat them into submission. Also, if you have like 4 or 5 zombies on you and you are in a small area, you're going to die. Better run or try to break them out into smaller groups to handle.

Your weapons will eventually break unless you repair them. You can also upgrade your weapons. You can also find weapon schematics and create weapons. You'll find random items all over the island that can be used as parts to create a weapon. I have yet to find a gun in a game, but they are there somewhere. The game has a stamina system, so jumping, sprinting, constant swinging of the weapons will cause you to get fatigued.

Leveling system is very straightforward. Gain xp turning in quests and killing zombies and add your skill points to their respective trees for more skills.

The island is pretty freaking huge so the game got the setting right. You'll find trucks, vans, armored trucks, etc at your disposal.

When you start the game, you play through the prologue. Once done, you can enter the game lobby to find other people's games you can join for coop. Thankfully, there are no connection issues on the pc version. I was able to join my friend's game with no troubles.

Now for the game issues. For some reason or another, I have to sit staring at a black screen for 2 minutes before the title menu shows up. Also, a patch came out earlier today that fixed a no clip issue in the game, but killed everybody's saved games and also removed the ripper weapons mod (dlc) that was given to steam purchasers.

18. A 7/10 from Gamespot? Meh, I think I'll pass.

19. Will this be a play ground for Griefers like LFD2?

20. I put in another 9 hours (since I had to start over) and chose the chinese girl. She's an assassin class type/blade skills. First time around, I used the tough black dude who was a tank class type and had blunt weapon skills.

There's also a tough white guy who has throwing weapon skills and the island native girl who's a support role and has gun skills.

So basically, I found this girl pretty damn awesome so far. Her skills allow her to drop huge damage in the right circumstances. She's especially awesome in coop with the backstab ability if you have someone getting the zombies' attention. She's pretty crappy against thugs one on one when all you can do is melee though. Most of the time I just run away unless I have a molotov or propane tank near me.

I don't know if it's a problem with the console version, but the autoswap of weapons is pretty horrible and there's no setting to turn it off. Also, there's no weapon switch key bind either. You can't hit number keys to switch to a specific weapon and you can't mousewheel it either. Poor form, techland. They should've just mirrored borderlands style since it was just natural. Also, when you pick up bottles of alcohol, it autoswaps to it and what do you do when you hit the action button? Drink it and get blurry drunk. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA. So basically I have accidentally wasted 10 bottles of alcohol already when I could've used them to make molotov cocktails.

I found my first revolver in the so far. Can't use it yet.

I went on this exploration trip yesterday since I had no idea where to find a specific transformer to repair was. I think I ruined like 7 weapons before I was able to go back and repair. I heard it gets better later on as durability gets better and you can put skill points into losing less durability. You also start to feel really attached to your weapons since you can mod it, but then you outlevel it and have to get something better 8(

In Act I, the game is pretty straight-forward and may seem easy, but I hear it gets nuts in Act II.