Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by khaid, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 13 basic questions

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge

A lot of these were learned in school and some via current news. You should feel bad if you did poorly. shame on you.

2. 12 out of 13...I was thinking I might have missed two. Teh powar of teh educated guess.

3. I got them all correct, but there are a few of those I could see people not knowing. Your average person probably doesn't know much if anything about nanotechnology for instance. Also, fracking is something that's been in the news, but I could see people not knowing what the term meant. I wouldn't think less of you if you thought it was a new way of drilling for oil or something. However, most of the questions are basic high school level science that everyone should know.

4. 12 out of 13

the only missing one was

Which is an example of a chemical reaction?
    You answered "Sugar dissolving"
    The correct answer is "Nails rusting"

Have no idea what both of them are.

5. Sugar dissolving is a physical change, not a chemical reaction.

6. Are you saying that fracking is not a way of extracting oil?

7. Sugar + Water = A solution of sugar in water.

Iron Nail Rusting = a reaction between Iron and Oxygen = Iron Oxide = 2 elements forming to make a compound.

Pretty easy quiz really for anyone who bothered to pay attention at school

8. I got 15 out of 13. That's right. I'm a genius.

9. Re: Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

fracking was a poor question. as chairman was pointing out, it's also used for shale oil

10. I’m a fracking expert on fracking. My city is trying to ban it.

11. I never paid attention at school. Got 10/13 right.

12. Re: Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

fracking is also a curse word in our future

13. I just realized that "nails" here are iron nails rather than nails at ends of your fingers. If you are not a native speaker, such quizes introduce unwanted additional challenge.

Shame on me ;)

14. Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

12/13. DAMN YOU NITROGEN.

15. Re: Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

That's one of the first things you learn in high school science you uneducated fool.

16. Fuck nitrogen. O2 for lyf3!

12/13. But I totally guessed on the chemical reaction + CO2 temp change one. I'm 100% accurate guesser!

17. Re: Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

My wife got 11 and the 2 she got wrong were the abundant gas and chemical reaction, the same two that people here seem to get one of wrong.

She says she toyed with both answers in the ones she got wrong but she could be LYING!

18. Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

I dispute nitrogen. I've never seen or smelt it so how can it be more common than oxygen? It's like the tides, you can't explain it.

19. Smelt the nitrogen!

[​IMG]