Doug Hutchison and his 16-year-old bride

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by bfun, Sep 22, 2011.

1. So how does this work exactly? Don’t people go to jail for this kind of thing? I know the marriage is legal and all but what about the courting that led up to the marriage?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2015171/Green-Mile-star-Doug-Hutchison-defends-marriage-16-year-old.html

2. What is the age of consent? Here it is 16 so they would be fine, if she was 15 when they did anything then that would be rape over here.

3. It's 17 or 18 in most states, and it's pretty goddamn creepy regardless. Where's Chris Hansen when you need him?

[​IMG]

4. You don't think 16 is old enough or the age difference is creepy?

5. There was no courting if I recall correctly. They met online, he didn't know she was a teenager until later on, her parents said it was fine, allowed a marriage, they finally met in person and he proposed.. shortly after, the marriage.

If this didn't happen, we wouldn't have awesome music like this.

6. That is dreadful, the music doesn't even work let alone the dodgy vocals. I had to turn it off when the auto-tune became apparent in what I assume is the chorus.

7. Both. She's almost young enough to be his granddaughter.

8. I watched a brief video of her before and wasn't able to listen to her for more than a few moments. Many seem to be outraged at Hutchison. I feel nothing but pity for him. Living in close proximity to her would be hell on Earth in my view.

9. Why would you want to marry a teenager anyway? Their body might be mature, but they usually still have the mind of a child.

Ephebophilia is not as bad as pedophilia, but it's still pretty gross, especially with this kind of age difference. And it's still predatory in nature.

Edit: That video makes Rebecca Black look talented by comparison.

10. so she'll be just half his age in 19 years?? I just like figuring out things like this :) Somebody married his son's ex-girlfriend lol.

11. I'm barely mid 20's and I find people < 23 to be annoying as shit. A fucking 16 year old would be irritating to be around, in my opinion.

12. What weird is if he had the intention to touch her before they were married he could have gone to jail but now that they are married it's okay. So you can see how the situation is a little messed up.

13. Considering the age of consent in California is 18, and it's illegal to solicit sex from a minor over the internet, he should be in prison.

14. So your age of consent changes depending on your marital status? Ours is 16 either way.

15. The states make their own laws and they can get weird. The age of consent is usually 18 but it changes based on the age of the older party. So 18-16 or 17-15 might be okay but not 21-17.

Here are some legal ages for marriage by state.

California: no statutory minimum, those under 18 must receive approval of a superior court judge, or parental consent.

Pennsylvania: 18, 16 with parental consent, 14 in case of pregnancy and with the approval of a Judge of the Orphans Court.

New Hampshire: 18, 14 for males and 13 for females, in cases of "special cause" with parental consent and court permission.

16. You guys completely missed the other bonus of marrying a 16 year old when you're over 50, or marrying a 50 year old when you're 16: scoring your own reality TV show.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/22/courtney-stodden-doug-hutchison-reality-show/

17. Actually the biggest benefit will be the senior discount on coffee she will get. Score!

18. If the pervert had been someone other than a celebrity, the parents would have called the cops immediately. Instead they saw their chance for their 15 minutes and took it.

19. Hawaii's age of consent is 14 I think
    http://ninure.com/age_of_consent_usa.html

And their actually trying to get it lowered from what I read in a local paper... can't find it now though :( but it had some pretty valid excuses.

20. I find it funny that you all seem to think 16 is so bad when its normal for us.