Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by monsly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. True, I could use my Xbox controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, although with the console versions I will have extra playability for achievements/trophies.

2. On the other hand, the PC version for sure will give you the best graphics, framerate, load times and mod community. Especially with the elder scrolls games, mods have been very much expanding playability.

3. I have to admit the mods available for Oblivion ranged from rubbish to out of this world. Dual wielding lightsabers anyone? Kinda killed the game for me though.

4. Modding and add-ons are obviously good, and can make a game better(WoW) but it can also make a game retarded. I like to play my games how they are meant to be.

5. Same. I loved playing Fallout 3 with the realism mod where you can kill people with a couple of shots since bullet damage is at a much more realistic level (this works both ways though so you had to be very very careful) and using new weapons and gameplay changing mods, just as I did on Oblivion but after a while I had a hankering to play the stock version. My experience of mods is they seem to be a good distraction that freshen the game up, but only for a little while.

6. Things like that are fine, but if I want to mod for extreme and silly things I think it would be best to complete the game first. That way you know that you finished the game in the way it was intended first.

7. Apparently the Skyrim trailer was based off of 360 code. Not sure how substantiated that claim is but it does mean that the game will look stupidly good for an open world title.

8. I thought most of that trailer was cut scene personally lol. I can't see it looking that good on console.

9. Update time. IGN has a chat with the game developer: Todd Howard.

Well worth a read for some answers on what is to come.

10. I haven't noticed anything new but, still, it's good to know that the development goes as scheduled. Really can't wait to get this one.

11. I've never looked forward to a game as much as I'm looking forward to this.

12. There are 6 fresh screenshots published

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/pc/archive/2011/04/01/latest-elder-scrolls-screens-are-legitimately-good.aspx

That definitely looks good.

13. IGN has a review up. Sounds amazing.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1162158p1.html

14. I like the fact that they're streamlining the character attributes for leveling compared to Oblivion.

15. just can't wait to see the actual gameplay on E3. this one and Dark Souls will make a great autumn.

16. 25 fan questions were put to Todd Howard Game Director, Bruce Nesmith Lead Designer, and Matt Carofano Lead Artist. You can find the revealing answers here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1207390-skyrim-fan-interview/

17. 20 minutes of Skyrim gameplay on Joystiq...if you haven't seen it already. The more you watch, the more the differences between this game and Oblivion start to stand out. The dungeons seem to look more detailed and varied, and I definitely like the more elaborate item views. Combat with weapons looks to be roughly the same in terms of the general mechanics, but there are obviously duel wields now for weapons and magic.

Video is split into three parts and has some commentary from Bethesda here and there. Third video has some rather awesome dragon fight sequences.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/12/come-watch-20-minutes-of-skyrim-gameplay/

18. It looks alright I guess. The graphics really don't look any better than Oblivion. The only part that really looked any different from Oblivion was the stuff with the dragon. It will probably be something I pick up when it's cheap because I just don't find the world from the Elder Scrolls games all that interesting.

19. Are you even being serious? They're miles better than the graphics on Oblivion, see for yourself.

OBLIVION

SKYRIM

The level of detail in Skyrim is leaps and bounds ahead of the now very dated 2006 graphics of Oblivion.

I learned earlier today that Angels & Airwaves new album comes out the same day as Skyrim. As if I couldn't wait for 11/11/11 enough already lol.

20. The detail level in the draw distance has definitely been improved (the original console version of Oblivion was notoriously blotchy and hideous for long distance scenery), and I would expect that frame rate for things like horseback travel are better. The NPC's faces look improved as well, and I don't remember much in the way of significant weather effects for Oblivion. I agree that the overall technical graphic level seems roughly the same (it's been several years since I played Oblivion), but it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison. I bet Skyrim has more going for it than is immediately obvious.