Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by alterego, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Not sure if I like it but the resurrection mod would make a second play though pretty interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I watched a YouTube video on this mod and it's REALLY hard to tell where you are in the game until you see a structure. Might have gone a bit overboard with the overgrowth.

3. Still not got around to getting this. Is it worth actually getting?

4. #164 Alpolio, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    I'm thinking about getting this for my birthday. But some friends told me that one of the latest DLC's had serious issues.

But then I remembered that I use an Xbone, so I'm good. :cool:

But seriously, I am thinking about getting it. I love FPS's.

5. Even XBOX1 had issues with far harbour.

To be honest its an average game at best. Too much filler and not enough content, doesn't compare to Witcher at all.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

6. To me, it's the game that Fallout 3 should have been. I found it to be a lot more fun in terms of the world and exploration, as well as the combat. Storyline is not it's big strong suit, but it's good enough for this type of game.

7. #167 cmdrmonkey, May 30, 2016
    @Phisix

Did you enjoy Fallout 3 and Skyrim? This is like a hybrid of the two. The world and the exploration are great. It has a crafting system that's similar to the one in Skyrim. There's also a settlement building aspect that can be quite fun. They removed the karma system from Fallout 3. I always found it kind of silly, so I'm not sure that I miss it. Power armor is different in this game. It's more like a vehicle than a suit of armor, and it has a finite fuel source. It has a romance/dating simulator aspect if you like that kind of thing. It comes across as kind of weird and possibly inappropriate though considering your wife died and you're supposed to be looking for your son.

Grim is right about there being too much generic filler though. There are tons of generic radiant quests padding out the actual unique content. The writing is also not great. Three of the factions basically have the same ending. You also aren't given a lot of moral choices for how to complete quests like in FO3. The big moral choice in this game is picking a faction, and none of the factions are likable. The game also gets super grindy. The crafting requires you to gather huge amounts of junk and farm adhesive, which gets tiresome. And as much fun as I had with the settlement building, the interface is badly designed and annoying. All of that being said, I thought it was a better game than Fallout 3. The main quest is a lot better, the world is more fun to explore, and the crafting and settlement building make it more fun.

I would give FO4 an 8/10. It's absolutely worth getting if you liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Just don't expect anything radically new or different. I feel like Bethesda is getting lazy and set in their ways. FO4 is good, but it could have been so much better if Bethesda would step out of their comfort zone. They keep recycling the same game engine from Oblivion. Their games are hilariously buggy. And they never seem to improve the writing in their games.

I'm actually less impressed with FO4 now that I'm deep into the Witcher 3. I didn't even like previous Witcher games, but I feel like Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. CDPR clearly went back to the drawing board and tried to figure out what made competitors' games like Skyrim and Mass Effect so great. Then they took the best aspects of those games and made something just as good or arguably even better. Witcher 3 actually has memorable quests and characters, and the game world feels much more detailed and life-like than anything I've seen from Bethesda. I would play the Witcher 3 first before getting into FO4. I think it's a better game. I'm actually trying to think of the last time I saw a game in a franchise that was such a dramatic improvement over its predecessors in every way. Maybe GTA2 to GTA3, HL1 to HL2, or Morrowind to Oblivion? Witcher 3 is that big of a step up over Witcher 2.

8. The console versions of this game are garbage. FO4 is meant to be played on PC. FO4 is an excellent example of how underpowered the XB1 and PS4 are compared to PC.

9. I loved Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim so I should like this too then. The game should be rather cheap by now as well which is a good thing. I finished Witcher 3 last week so another game in the vein will fill the void left by it.

10. What's your opinion of the Witcher 3 now that you've finished it?

11. One of the best games I have ever played and it has everything you could want in a game. The game is also well worth the price for the content as it is massive in scope as well as the size of all the maps. I hear the DLC is great as well as massive. Supposedly this is the last Witcher game as well which is a shame as I am new to the trilogy and I like the setting, history and characters as well as Geralt.

12. Not sure I agree on that. They eliminated the need to repair your weapons and armor like in FO3, which was one of the more annoying grind aspects of that particular game. And later on in FO4 when resource acquisition starts to get old, you typically have a lot of caps built up (or a sh*t ton of ammo which is the same thing as caps in trade) and can just buy most of what you need rather than scavenging. I also never needed to farm adhesive, as the junk equivalent wasn't that hard to run across.

13. #173 cmdrmonkey, May 30, 2016
    How much crafting have you done though? If you want the really high-end stuff, like fully upgraded X-01 MK6 power armor and fully upgraded high-end weapons, there's quite a bit of grinding to scavenge or buy crap. Also not sure what you mean about no repairs. Power armor needs to be regularly repaired. And I have no idea how you could build that stuff without an adhesive farm. And even with the adhesive problem taken care of I was always short on aluminum. It sounds like you just didn't really do that much crafting. I mean I guess you can just use crappy gear like vendor trash stuff or whatever random stuff you pick up. But in a game like this I always try to craft the best weapons and armor.

14. Yeah Seasons mod seems more reasonable. It's green but not a damn jungle.

15. You can usually pick up the first two games on PC for < 5$. They're pretty linear but the story, theme, and voice acting is the same.

16. The storytelling was also good in the previous Witcher games, but the Witcher 3 has far better gameplay. And the previous games are pretty linear other than some story choices. They aren't open world. They're more like playing Dragon Age or Mass Effect or something like that.

17. No, I think the difference is probably the power armor and heavy weapons. I didn't use the power armor more than a couple of times during 200+ hours and used rifles/energy weapons the entire game. I did quite a bit of crafting for armor/weapons…maxed out .50 caliber and laser rifle/gauss rifle, + a bunch of synth armor upgrades. The items that I always seemed to be short on were screws/gears and copper.

18. That one looks better…and might have a chance of running decently on the PS4.

19. It looks like you're right. They're having to scale back the visuals on the PS4 to fix the performance.

Damn! I really liked that fog! The PS4 version looks "last gen" now. Hopefully they won't gimp the XB1 version when or if they patch it.

20. The only thing scaled back was some of the ground fog, and it looks like they would need to do the same thing on XB1 in order to actually get a stable 30 fps.