Google acquires Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion

Discussion in 'Technology' started by khaid, Aug 15, 2011.

1. What if Ford released a car that looked exactly like a Porsche but had the Ford logo on it? I mean, how many different kinds of cars can you design????

2. The iPad and Galaxy tab look completely different! They are completely different sizes and one has buttons and logos that the other doesn't have!

3. Draw me a completely new design for a rectangle with a screen in it! What do you expect other compaines to do? Release triangular tablets?

4. Independent manufacturers sell custom kits with Ferrari or Porsche etc imitation shells and there's no fuss. Small garages sell replicas of cars like the 1960's jaguar e type but have a different logo.

The thing is, these things are normally filed under copyright or trademarks. Having a patent for something like this is ridiculous.

5. So if I went into a TV store to buy a flat screen TV, all the designs would look identical except for the logo and the buttons? Or did TV manufacturers somehow manage to create different designs for a product that is basically just a flat screen?

6. But the Galaxy tab doesn't look identicle to the iPad, it is a different shape for one. Most TV's are just different shapes.

I really can't understand how you think the iPad and Galaxy tab look that much alike.

Why do you feel you have to defend EVERYTHING Apple do?

7. I know. It's almost as ridiculous as Oracle owning a patent for Java.

8. All flatscreen tvs look the same. Anyone entering your house would be unable to identify your tv without the brand name shown under the screen.

9. Your argument is completely invalid. Java is an application that needs constant updates and work from software programmers. Apple are being retards because they seem to think they own the patent to a shape. The iPad is a rectangle with a screen in the middle, if you can patent a shape then the world has gone mad.

10. Why do people on this board believe every conspiracy theory about Apple? Did it occur to you or others that the photo of the Tab in question wasn't the only image within Apple's filing? Did it occur to you that Samsung would be providing their own images of the Tab in comparison to Apple's products?

11. So are TV's, but TV manufacturers seem to be able to come up with designs that look different.

12. I have never mentioned the doctored picture that Apple provided. I have simply stated that both devices have nothing in common in terms of looks other than that they are both rectangles with screen in the middle. I have asked you as a result to draw me up a tablet that looks nothing like the iPad because if the Galaxy Tab (which in my opinion is very different) is too alike then I would like to see what you think Samsung should have done.

13. As Chi pointed out most LCD, LED and Plasma TV's look the same and without a logo most people wouldn't know the difference between them.

14. Nothing in common other than rectangular screens, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Just from those pictures the iPad is short and fat, the Galaxy is long and narrow. The iPad has nothign but a screen and one button on its front side, the Galaxy has a logo and 4 buttons. The buttons on both devices are both completely different and one has symbols.. Open your eyes!

Also when did Apple get to be the only ones to put things in white boxes? The Samsung box has a lot more writing on it whereas the Apple box like all other Apple products is very plain, again they are very different.

Again the only thing they have in common is that they are rectangles with screen in.

16. The question is: when did Samsung's electronic devices and packaging become so similar to what Apple was doing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ah good, you have given up arguing that the devices look the same.

Who cares what colour box something comes in, if it is a crime to put things in a white box then a lot of people are going to be in trouble. My wife sells cakes and always uses white boxes, are Apple going to sue her now?

Hones't truth, just because the Galaxy Tab comes in a white box isn't reason enough for me to buy one so I don't see why a fuss is being made of it. Infact just last night I was talking to Monsly about how I have been considering an iPad myself for a while. I just don't see how you can argue Apple's corner in this, the devices look completely different.

18. It's not just the device that looks the same, or even the box that looks the same...it's also the icons! What are the odds of all three areas of the product being so similar without it being deliberate?

[​IMG]

At any rate, you and others might want to read this article if you want all the facts. Plenty of details on what the complaints really are.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/19/apple-sues-samsung-analysis/

19. So now you are saying that Apple own the patent to a picture of a phone or a cog?

20. I'm saying you should read the details of the lawsuit. It involves multiple levels of claims that include trademark, trade dress, and design patents. Icons fall under trademark, and all of the iOS icons shown are registered trademarks, except for the new iTunes icon that is pending.