Google announces Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2

Discussion in 'Technology' started by khaid, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Android 4.2 is still jellybean, much like android 2.0 to 2.1 was still eclair. It's more or less just jellybean with some app updates and small interface changes.

If you're wondering what photo sphere is.. just think back to the quicktime vr days. As for gmail, it took them 4 solid years, but they finally allowed zooming in and out of emails.

As for the new Nexus devices, to recap, we had the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and now we're at the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10. Yes, be confused. In their own twisted way, they do make sense.

The Nexus 4 will launch November 13th starting at $299 on the play store. Yes, that's right, even cheaper the Galaxy Nexus months after it launched. It starts at 8GB and will be one of the most powerful devices in the market.

The display uses something very similar to the iphone 5's in-cell touch technology so it is extremely thin. It also has 2GB of ram and a 2100mah battery, but it is non-removable since the Nexus 4 uses wireless charging (inductive).

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_16GB?id=nexus_4_16gb

The Nexus 10 is a 10" tablet made by Samsung.

This will also launch on November 13th starting at 16GB for $399.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_16GB?id=nexus_10_16gb

As for the Nexus 7, Google removed the 8GB version and replaced its $199 pricepoint with the 16GB version and added a 32GB version in the $249 pricepoint. They also added a 32GB version with an hspa+ radio for $299.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_16GB?id=nexus_7_16gb

2. The nexus 10 looks amazing spec wise for the price. I'm not a fan of the design really, looks a bit 2007-8ish android style which I wasn't even a fan of back then. The screen should be superb though, 2560x1600 is what I've been dreaming of for a tablet for quite a while, and the OS really looks polished now. Not to mention the processing power! Dual A15's are surely the fastest thing available, but I'm eager to see if the Mali T604 lives up to the hype...

3. My question is what the heck is google thinking with their tablet interfaces. The Nexus 7 makes a bit of sense for them to use their phone style interface since they intend people to use it with one hand. But the Nexus 10 keeps that same style interface which makes no sense with the soft buttons in the middle and pull down notification bar (even in landscape mode).

4. Google just announced that they're going to have the Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB join the Nexus program now. It's still going to be your regular Galaxy S4, but with stock android and with updates directly through Google.

The downside is that it's at its full unsubsidized $649. For comparisons sake, the Nexus 4 16GB is $349. But you'll gain a micro sd slot, removable battery, and LTE.

5. Although I like most of the UI overhauls that touchwiz 5 gives, it's nice for people to have an option for stock Android on a high end phone with a removable battery and SD slot. The price is to be expected I guess, it's just nice they're giving people options again.

6. And now the HTC One is getting the nexus treatment too. It'll be on the Play Store at the same time as the Galaxy S4 Nexus Edition on June 26th. It'll be $599 in 32GB flavor.

This is a very interesting turn of events as these 2 phone are THE flagship phones for android. The rumored Moto X phone from Motorola/Google turned out to be true as it was confirmed yesterday, but no details.