Grand Theft Auto 5

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phisix, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Screenshots mean jack. Skyrim just further proves my point, the game played like arse on consoles and looked a hell of a lot worse than PC to me. And that was X360, PS3 was a horrible experience from what I've seen and heard. GTAIV and RDR looked worse on PS3 as well, so clearly PS3 will disappoint me, X360 will be marginally better, but not good enough and I don't have a 360 anyhow. It's PC, PS4 or nothing for me...

2. Yeah same here, I'm reluctant to play it on consoles. They really are showing their age at this point, especially if you're like me and have been playing through this generation primarily on the PC.

I've read an article on IGN recently and the author seemed unimpressed with what he had seen so far of GTAV's visuals, apparently it still retains GTAIV's texture pop-in issues and looks like "an enhanced version of GTAIV with an extra sheen added".

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/grand-theft-auto-v-ambition-in-the-big-city?page=2

I mean, the GTA series has never really been about the visuals, but I know a PC or PS4 release would be a huge improvement in that area if they use the opportunity.

3. Skyrim played like a dream compared to Oblivion on consoles. It was a huge improvement in performance, and it accomplished it with a much more ambitious scope for the environments. Remains to be seen, but the odds are in favor of GTA V being similar vs. GTA IV.

4. Grand Theft Auto 5

I've got RDR on Xbox and ps3 and haven't noticed a difference. Skyrim is a different thing altogether. The PS3 version was virtually unplayable at one point. It's ok now but the Xbox version is easily the one to go for on consoles. I dot think I've played on my ps3 since I finished FarCry 3. Which reminds me, I must buy blood dragon this weekend.

5. Grand Theft Auto 5

I always thought it was a shame San Andreas came out at the end of a generation. Thought it really showed its age when it was released, which was a big pity.

6. Of course, the flip-side is that the end of the generation is when they have the largest installed base to sell the game to and can justify spending more time/money on a bigger and better game.

7. That's true, and San Andreas is still the biggest seller for the series IIRC. Of course, sales stats don't play any part in my purchasing decision. At this stage, there's no way they should make the game next-gen exclusive, because I'm sure they'd like maximum return on their investment. I'm not saying they should have aimed at a next-gen only release, I'm just hoping for a next-gen/PC port within 6 months of the initial release.

The texture/object detail and pop-in are the main things that I'm worried about as far as graphics go. The next is smooth frame rates. RDR was somewhat of an exception because the world had far fewer objects of importance to actually draw, hence the pop in was both less prevalent and less noticeable. Also, it came out 3 years ago, when the current consoles were somewhat more up to date.