Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bfun, Aug 5, 2012.

1. those were mostly being introduced when I was leaving FFXI I am a little aware, I'd get PVP, might take a bit to get PVE, but there's no better reason to josh Bfun -_-.

2. Don't forget PvX. Hell I'm not even sure what that one means. I think it's player vs everything.

Oh don't let me talk you out of it. The Mesmir is about the coolest looking guy on the battlefield and the Engineer has the flame thrower which is an awesome weapon.

Played some WVW tonight. It was awesome when I was winning but it sucked when I was getting mobbed. Basically the biggest and most organised group of people win. I got in a battle with about 100 people and it just looked like chaos to me.

I finally got invited into a guild so next time I play I'll explore that option.

Let me add that I think I liked the CoH battle mechanics a little better than GW2 (I have no WoW experience). The battles in GW2 get so freaking huge some times. Tonight I fought a single shaman king with 30 other players. I couldn't even see the guy or myself. CoH always had limits. Groups could only get so big in CoH where as GW2 seems pretty unlimited.

3. So what's so great about this game? Sell it to me. Why is it a WoW killer?

4. It's not a wow killer. As horrible as the mists of panderia expansion for wow looks, it'll outsell gw2.

The thing about guild wars 2 is that it looks like it broke out of the closed type of mmo the first guild wars was. The first guild wars was all mmo in the lobby, but once you went into the world, it's just yourself and your group members. Hardly an mmorpg in that sense.

Gw2 looks like it's finally a full fledged mmorpg while keeping it free to play. Free to play while being a quality game no less. A lot of people are giving it pretty good reviews, but of course it hasn't actually been out that long. For all we know, it could go star wars in a few months.. But the consequences of investing in this game isn't so bad since you just paid the initial price of the game and no monthly fees.

5. I wont say it's a great game yet. It's a very good game and it has potential to be better if I delve into the multiplayer aspect a bit more. I'm not recommending it to anyone yet.

WoW Killer? Nothing will kill WoW if only because it has very deep social ties that will only die with the players. Compete with WoW? Sure, I think so. I haven't played WoW but by all appearances GW2 improves on the game in about every area.

Forbes projects that Activision (WOW) could experience a drop of up to $366 million in gross profit in the 6 months following the release of Guild Wars 2. And that is through the holiday season.

And GW2 has under water combat!

[​IMG]

6. I was actually being sarcastic with the WoW killer comment. Practically every new MMO gets touted as a WoW killer, and within 6 months, if not sooner, they've died off. Case in point: Star Wars: TOR.

As horrible as the Kung Fu Panda WoW expansion looks, I'm sure it will still sell by the truckload. I think the only thing that can beat WoW at this point would be a sequel to WoW. But Blizzard/Activision won't release something like that until WoW dies down. And I don't see that happening in the near future.

7. I remember joeblow and some other forum members raving about the original guild wars. I tried it out and it really was a poor mans mmo. The animation and everything in the game looked so cheap.

8. Yeah, GW1 looked like crud.

9. Blizzards "project Titan". I wonder if they are still working on that MMO they banded about a few years back.

10. I'm sure they are since mmo development, and especially blizzards development time period, are extremely lengthy. wow's was so long that it was a dx7 game that launched when dx8 was already used in plenty of games. there was also quite a bit of changes that occurred during beta to game launch. I wouldn't be surprised if that project Titan launches after a 10 year development period.

11. The GW2 scores are still young but here they are.

Metacritic score: User score

GW2 - 93 and 8.5
    WOW Wrath of the Lich King - 91 and 6.6
    WOW Burning Crusaid - 91 and 7.1
    WOW: Cataclysm - 90 and 5.1
    WOW: 93 and 6.1

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2