Halo 5

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Alpolio, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Ok. I just got Halo 5. And it is the best video game that I've ever played. Even I can't get over the fact that it's Halo. They took the best aspects of Battlefield & Black Ops and put them into the Halo universe. And then they added "Star Trek: Into Darkness" style cut scenes. It's just awesome! Check it out...

This is the first cut scene in the solo campaign. It's insane.

And here's the multiplayer.

343 Studios took an broken franchise - that people made fun of - and made it better than anything else out there. We need more games like this. :cool:

2. Looks like it suffers from the perfect dark zero effect

3. There has never been a good Halo game!

Dynamic resolutions with an average of 1344x1080.. pffffft.. just bring out some hardware capable of keeping it at 1920 x 1080 M$!

4. Hey, Halo3 was very good. This also looks pretty good. I didn't even know there was a 4th game.

5. #6 cmdrmonkey, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    The original Halo was pretty good for the time, but the sequels are all mediocre cashgrabs.

Halo 2 is memorable for being the first popular online shooter on consoles though.

6. Halo 3 was easily top tier on Xbox 360. It was also the Xbox Live equivalent of Counter-Strike on Steam. There really was nothing like it on Playstation Network at the time. Remember this was the generation where X360 shit all over the PS3 at-least in the US.

Although, the Halo5 thread being overrun with Halo3 talk gives you an idea how far MS have fallen.

7. #8 cmdrmonkey, Mar 7, 2016
    Not in my experience. Halo 2 had very active multiplayer, and was a huge phenomenon with console gamers. It was not a great game, but it was their first exposure to the kind of online shooters PC gamers had been playing for the previous decade. It was very popular for several years, from 2004 to 2007, both on the Xbox and the X360 using backwards compatibility. Halo 2 was the console equivalent of Counter-Strike.

Halo 3 on the other hand was a mediocre dud. Within about two weeks of it coming out, no one I knew was still playing it. Call of Duty Modern Warfare launched a month after Halo 3 and stole all of its thunder, becoming one of the most popular games of all time. Modern Warfare popularized the Call of Duty franchise with the masses of console gaming dudebros and made it the megahit multi-billion dollar franchise that we know today. I was under the impression that Halo 3 suffering a massive defeat to CoD:MW pretty much killed the Halo franchise. I don't even know anyone IRL who played anything beyond Halo 3.

Basically, 2007 was the year that Call of Duty replaced Halo as the default dudebro shooter franchise.

8. Halo was the stand out for me but 3 was nearly up there with it. Have really not been bothered with the series after that; seemed to get a bit diluted as MS pushed for more games. Does seem the series has lost the pull it once had.

9. Halo 3 didn't resonate with the masses. It was completely overshadowed by CoD:MW. If it had won the battle with CoD, it would be what all the dudebros are playing today. But MW won, so all the dudebros now play CoD and have forgotten about Halo.

10. The most played game on Live (by unique users) didnt resonate with the masses? LOL

Halo's downfall came after 3 when MS started to split the brand in all directions (fps,rts,film).

11. #13 cmdrmonkey, Mar 7, 2016
    MW was #2 or #3 on XBL. But you have to keep in mind that it was also on PS3 and PC. Halo 3 may have won the battle on XBL, but it lost the war. 2007 with MW marked not only the rise of CoD, but also the rise of the multi-platform game and decline of exclusives. Halo 3 was significant, but the for the wrong reasons. It was the end of popularity for the Halo franchise, and the last time anyone cared about an Xbox exclusive.

Also lol at how we're having one of the big debates of 2007/2008 in 2016.

12. I've been watching some of the Twitch feeds of Halo 5 and I was a bit surprised that the pistol was getting some heavy use. And I mean, that was their primary weapon! After a while, I realized that the betrayal ban is being done automatically. So it's zapping all friendly fire offences. LOL! That's forcing the players to check their targets.

It is funny, but I can see it hurting the noobs. They really should add some modes that remove friendly fire. And a bot mode would be nice too. That would give them something to play before they try the expert modes. Then won't have to use pistols all the time.