Hard Drive Prices Skyrocket

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Oct 27, 2011.

1. The flooding in Thailand has resulted in ridiculously inflated HDD prices. They've doubled or trippled in most cases. Check out newegg. A 1TB WD Caviar Black drive which used to be like $60, is now going for around $160. It's like we've stepped into a time machine and gone back 6 or 7 years to when HDDs were expensive.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/flooding-in-thailand-could-see-hard-drive-prices-skyrocket-20111019/

2. That island is hell for natural disasters.

3. Thailand's an island? TO WIKIPEDIA...

4. Indeed. I'm glad I got my 3TB external before this.

5. He's thinking of Taiwan.

6. Or the Isle of Wight. Now THAT'S an island.

A shit one.

7. I was looking at ssd prices and their down to nearly 1.50 per gigabyte, steadily dropping as usual. Maybe this will catch up to them as well, I doubt their demand is as big. but it hadn't yet./

8. Great. I bet my hard drive is going to fail at any moment.

9. I know you meant gigabyte but I'm still waiting for 256GB ssd drives to get to a nice reasonable price. :(

it should be affordable by my next upgrade period. which is still a whiles away. my i5 lynnfield and radeon 4870 1gb still holding strong.

10. My 96GB SSD is tiny but I'd still hate to go back to a regular hard drive. SSDs are really the only way to get perceivable performance increases out of a PC these days.

11. indeed, luckily I have 2 Samsung f3's in a raid stripe to help with load times.

SOON

12. This cost inflation works out for me. It helps me put off the bother and expense of switching to an SSD.