HP is Finished

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Can it run Gingerbread?

2. Imma slap you.

3. Wut wut? I was serious. Gingerbread has apps. WebOS not so much.

Fire sale is supposed to start tomorrow.

4. I haven't run across anything that says that you can... yet. It might happen somewhat soon though, considering the amount of people that will be snatching up this thing at that price.

And the term I think you wanted to use was Android, not gingerbread specifically. :)

5. Even at that price, meh.

6. But I meant Gingerbread. I could be wrong but isn't it the most tailored for tablets?

7. You're probably thinking of honeycomb, that was the one developed ground-up for tablets.

8. I wouldn't say HP is finished at all then, they sell a lot of business/corporate hardware. My contact in the HP SAN service section said all he has been doing for the past 3 weeks is setting up new systems, infact he went as far as to say they seem to be selling more than ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14598006

9. By the time I woke up they were all sold out :( I'll just wait till the first batch of returns.

10. It's still available on the HP small business site. But good luck getting an order to go through.. it's hammered up the wazoo.

11. So I was able to score one after refreshing the HP small business order pages for about an hour.

bfun: Touchdroid is going to start development soon. But, I'd seriously treat this as a, "don't put too much expectations until you see results" kind of deal.

Here's the steps the touchdroid team said they'll take.

webos itself is fine if you're just going to use it as a standard web surfing tablet. it even uses true multitasking if you were going to be flipping around doing other things. don't expect much in the selection of apps in the app catalog.

12. Well it's a good deal at $100. I put CM7 on my Nook Color last night. I had a few complications because the Nook changes drive partitions on the new units and there aren't any version number to identify which unit you got. I ran Quadrant benchmarker and got 1308 at 800MHz. I bumped the max CPU speed to 925MHz and it got 1564. I guess some people are getting it to 1.3 GHz with scores over 3000 but I'm not sure I want to push it.

13. HP is a shit company. I certainly won't miss them. Everything they made was garbage. I knew about the HP Touchpad deal the night it was going to change. A bunch of people at a party decided to go to Walmart before midnight to get the deal. I passed, I don't even know if I'd take one if it was free.

14. I don't have an opinion on HP, but I've always liked webos. If this was pure HP from ground up, I wouldn't have bothered even at $10.

15. This made me bust out laughing, probably because I agree with it completely.

Now if only Toshiba could go die in a fire. They're the other big dumpster brand people get tricked into buying at brick and mortar electronics places.

16. Many people think this fire sale is gona rock tablet pricing. Obviously people are willing to spend $100 for a tablet but not $400 or $500.

17. Tablets are useless. They probably should only cost $100.

18. Makes me wonder how Windows 8 will play in the tablet market.

19. I caved in and bought one last night from Barnes and Noble. :D I'm betting we will see a Beta CM7 in two months.

20. some witchcraft going on here