Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by supersonic, Oct 29, 2012.

1. I'm in Orlando now. Stupid cold front.

2. keep an eye peeled for zombies. maybe leave a dead carcas on the patio just in case.

3. Apparently even though the wind speed was Category 1 for Sandy, the barometric pressure within the storm was at the level of a Category 4, and tied it with the 1938 "Long Island Express" hurricane as the most powerful to ever hit the Northeast. I think the damages are now estimated at around $20 billion, and it's probably going to be in the top five most expensive natural disasters in U.S. history.

4. @supersonic

Where are you right now, and why didn't your work let you go home with the storm coming in?

5. I was able to flee the New Jersey area. They removed some of the debris blocking one of my escape routes. I went further west to my parents place in PA. I'm so glad there were no issues with the roads on the way to PA. I had just enough gas to get to where I am, and have yet to see an open gas station. PA got hit by Sandy too, but it isn't as noticeable. Central and Eastern Jersey are in shambles right now, nothing seems to be open.

If people were as cavalier as I was, they are fucked. I spent the last 2 nights trapped in a hotel room in 40 degree weather with no power, or cell reception. They handed out flashlights but it felt like something out of a zombie movie. That box of pizza from Monday saved my ass, I'm glad I didn't eat it all in one sitting when I got it. When I finished it off last night, I really had no choice but to get the fuck out.

The official word is if power wasn't on by last night, it wasn't likely to be on this week.

6. anybody else wonder how he even has internet?? not now obviously, but before? did he send out little messanger boats or what?

7. From what I was reading, cell phone carriers in the Northeast are teaming up and sharing towers in the aftermath of the storm.

8. I had no cell in nj since tuesday. I got wifi at lowes yesterday. From people i talked to voice and data never worked. Text messages were hit or miss. Verizon users fared slighly better than others.