I bought me a new tv!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by khaid, May 10, 2018.

1. I've also been looking for a cheap HTPC. Can this play video off a web browser? I can't be bothered to go into an app with so may streaming sites with pirated content these days.

The $179 HP Stream Mini was the most perfect HTPC I've ever had. But those assholes discontinued it for a $320 model.

2. you got a laptop? with your ghetto ways, remember that chromecast is a thing. you don't even need a set top box. just get a $30 chromecast and call it a day.

3. Nah, not the laptop. They used to sell a blue mini desktop that looked like a NUC.

I actually had considered getting the $200 blue laptop version like 2 weekend ago LOL.

I've never been too fond of Chromecast. It's a good clutch solution, but having full Windows is so nice. I get annoyed at the thought of being trapped in a compatible-apps based ecosystem. Also, while definitely usable, I've never had Chromecast work without a glitch or two.

4. I just meant if you had a laptop to have a portable PC to cast to the TV. there's another alternative to this too, for your ghetto style. steam link. either the standalone unit, or the app if you decide to get an Android TV unit.

it basically just casts your desktop to the TV if you exit big picture mode.

or of course, just get the nuc or build a small htpc unit as that'll give you the least amount of possible problems.

what kind of probs did you have with chromecast? it essentially just works like a miracast device stuck in chrome browser when you cast your chrome tab from your desktop.

5. Is using a keyboard based HTPC really ghetto in 2018? It was all the rage in 2015 LOL. So far the only remote based interface I've liked is LG WebOS, but my version doesn't do Sling TV :(

With Chromecast, I'd say 50% of the time the app would act like it's not casting video after a while. So rewinding, pausing, etc. becomes impossible without restarting the stream.

6. haha I meant more of streaming of the questionable content being ghetto.

7. #27 cmdrmonkey, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    "questionable" LOL

You mean stolen. Stolen by thieving pirate scum!

I bought a shield. I haven't had time to set it up. I'll play with it this weekend. I'll still be using my NUC. It's the AMD APU based PC I have that I will be retiring. Something is up with its GPU. It's artifacting. And I don't care enough about it to try to fix it.

8. I've been using a shield in the living room and a roku streaming stick plus in the bedroom. I would no longer recommend htpcs to most people. These devices are fast and responsive thanks to modern ARM hardware, dead silent with none of that annoying htpc fan noise, and do most everything I need out of an htpc while being much easier to use than an htpc. I have also largely switched from Kodi to Plex for local content. I hated streaming devices years ago when I tried them, but they have come a very long way.

9. yup. super low power device with instant on and easier hdr support than windows 10 can give you. there's not too much reason to do an htpc anymore unless you're looking to do something specific.

10. lol that's because you already have a piracy box setup with Plex. A cheap HTPC is still the best all-in-one solution.

11. #31 cmdrmonkey, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    I think most people will have a desktop or laptop with a decent amount of storage that can be used to host Plex. Also the shield can host it.

I think the Roku has actually suprised me the most. It's a great device, and only like ~$50. The Plus has the same hardware as the Ultra, just in a stick form factor.

12. I actually bought 2 Roku premieres last summer when Walmart was dumping them for $20. It's my preferred way to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc on my non-living room TVs.. I didn't know it supported Plex.

I use my HTPC in the living room to stream videos directly from piracy websites. Easy access to content has made me super lazy.

13. I bought the Roku Stick+ for it's better wireless antenna. It streams in parts of the house that no other device could.

14. I had the same problem in our bedroom. Wifi does not reach it well. The N adapter built into the TV gets a poor signal. The Roku Stick Plus has been rock solid so far in terms of its wifi.

15. supersonic is such a ghetto pirate

16. my tcl's backlight already died and is out of warranty. luckily I bought it on my fancy credit card so I can get reimbursed from the extended warranty.

I went ahead and went nuts and got an LG OLED 55" c9 series. it just recently got a gsync update, I heard.

17. What devices/ gizmos do you have that are compatible with HDR?

18. still the same stuff listed earlier in this thread. apple tv 4k and nvidia shield. i'm also on the netflix ultra hd subscription. the roku software was excellent on the tcl. i hope webos is equally as awesome on the lg's.. kinda bittersweet since i used to own a palm pre back in 2009

19. Have you watched Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance yet? It's in Dolby Vision and looks incredible both artistically and technically on top of just being a superb series. Most of my other top recommendations to showcase 4K/ HDR are unfortunately on 4K Blu-ray and PS4 Pro.

20. i actually get the delivery on friday so i dont even have the tv yet to try. will report back after i get it set up