Intel to Stop Making Desktop Motherboards

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Intel will no longer be making desktop motherboards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ceases-motherboard-production-haswell,20631.html

Between this and the CPUs being soldered onto the motherboards from Haswell on, it really seems like Intel wants to kill off the enthusiast desktop market.

And if they're going to be that fucking retarded, maybe AMD wants my business.

2. The haswell soldered on thing wasn't true, that was only for certain portable SKU's. This does sound pretty bad though, Intel make the best motherboards... the worst thing about the Athlon/XP/64 days were having to use a VIA or Nvidia motherboard (although my nforce 2 was nice). Intel's LAN and SATA controllers are second to none... If this is happening, I hope they at least continue to develop those technologies to be implemented on other partners boards.

EDIT: it's another false alarm like the Haswell thing. They wont be producing their Intel branded motherboards anymore, they will still be releasing chipsets for ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock etc to make their own boards just like now. The Intel boards haven't played as big of a role as they once did so there is virtually no loss to be had here.

3. Intel brand motherboards were a great point of reference for early hands on stuff that's about all. ASUS basically does that for AMD I suppose somebody will do that for Intel so no biggy but that at least will be a big... -isn kind of change I'd imagine.

4. Intel mother boards usually cost about 30% more than equivalent motherboards. I never thought they were worth it.

5. Yea, pretty much the only reason why I even considered an intel motherboard in the last few months was because they were the only ones supporting ssd raid 0 with trim. If the other oem's using intel chipsets were capable of that, i'd go to them in a heartbeat rather than paying a huge premium.