iPad 2

Discussion in 'Technology' started by monsly, Jun 29, 2011.

1. My wife wants one of these but has heard an iPad 3 is going to be released before Christmas. So is it worth getting one? I kind of need to decide in the next 5 hours so if someone could page alterego to this post that'd be good.

2. I would be very surprised if they released 2 different iPad models within 9 months.

3. So would I but that's the rumour. I wouldn't want to get anything that's superseded that soon really but my wife's keen on getting one.

4. I googled it and the first result was from the metro, I wouldn't believe anything from the metro, they said we were going to have a heat wave mid June!

All of the rumours seem to be based around resolution, a higher res screen would be nice but I can see a lot of people complaining if they do release it within one year as they will be making a lot of £400-£500 purchases a complete waste of money.

Saying that with Steve Jobs ANYTHING is possible.

5. It's hard to know what to do really; I'm now not sure if the iPad 2 is more an incremental product and 3 will be much better. I've held off upgrading my iPhone because of this sort of thing. Hmmmm. 3 hours to decide!

6. Is it her birthday or something? If it is a gift you can't really get away with 'there might be a better one coming out in December so I haven't got you anything just incase'.

You should have asked Chi before he disapeered, he could have picked you up a cheap knock off in China!

7. Nah, it's not a gift - she just wants one. Perhaps we'll just try it in the store and see what she thinks. Our laptop is really annoying her so I think she'll go for it anyhow.

8. Buy it now. If you wait you'll just hear a rumour about the iPad 4 then you'll be back here again.

9. Buy her a new laptop instead. Tablets are an expensive and useless gimmicky fad item. They're a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

10. But they're so cool to use, less shit to go wrong than a laptop. If I asked for an iPad and got a laptop instead I'd be pissed off.

11. I just don't see the point. If you want something portable, you get a smartphone. A tablet has to be lugged around in a carrying case similar to a laptop, and you need to be able to spread out to use it like a laptop, but it's nowhere near as capable as a laptop. And yet, it costs just as much as a laptop.

If she hates her current laptop, buy her a different laptop. A tablet is not the solution here.

12. For what she uses it for - Internet browsing, watching shows, a few simple games - the iPad would be much better. The pain with laptops is the loading times, updates and bugs. I get fed up with sorting out issues with Windows.

13. I would seriously look into that then, do you ever have problems browsing the net with your iPhone and its lack of flash? Do you use it as a serious browser or do you go to a computer for that? If its the only browser she will use it might become a problem.

My Phone has come back from repair recently and I originally forgot to install Flash. Even teamtalk moaned at me that parts wouldn't work when trying to look at football news.

14. I've never felt hampered browsing on my old iPhone 3G. I think we'll try the sites she uses regularly and see how they function.

15. The lack of flash and how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a video file onto anything made by Apple would put me off using it to watch shows.

What problem specifically is she having with her laptop? Is she someone who still uses internet explorer and gets a ton of viruses and spyware?

16. She was using Internet explorer but I switched it to Chrome a few weeks back. Main problem is it takes a long time to get to the point where you can use it (vista loading, logging in, update messages etc). The mouse pad isn't the best either and she's had a couple of virus attacks. Sorting it out is getting annoying for me and, for her main uses of it, an iPad just seems the better option.

17. Why on earth are you still using Vista? Also, what company made the laptop?

Do you need a Windows 7 Key? I have tons of the things. I already gave one to AKS.

18. It's a Dell so it's no great shakes at all - it was mainly bought for browsing and stuff so a cheap but decent spec model made sense back then (2007 I think). Im using Vista because it was on it; I've never though about switching the OS really. Is it worth the hassle upgrading then?

19. Hassle? What hassle? Win 7 takes 15 minutes to install, and maybe another half hour to download a few updates. If you can put a disc in your computer and click next a few times, you can install Windows 7. Vista was trash, while Windows 7 is godlike. It's totally worth switching.

It sounds like you need Windows 7 and maybe a new laptop a lot more than you need an ipad.

20. Do I need to back up anything first? Do I just download it off demonoid? Anything I need to be wary of? Does the laptop have any compatibility issues? That sort of thing. I remember installing 64 bit vista. Getting everything working was a total pain in the ass.