iPad 3 (aka The New iPad)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by khaid, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Literally just got announced. Looks like most of the recent rumors came true. Apple A5x instead of A6. Most notably, with the quad core gpu, it's 4x the performance of nvidia's tegra 3. Looks like SOC's for Android are still about 1 year behind in performance compared to Apple at this point.. although Samsung might have a trick up their sleeve with their upcoming event.

2048 x 1536 resolution confirmed. New isight camera. Also LTE and HSPA+ radios.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2851887/ipad-3-price-release-date-specs-features

With this tablet, you can be gaming at higher resolutions than current gen consoles and most PC gamers. Ridiculous.

2. Re: Ipad 3

And Apple announced the Ipad 2 16GB will stay in the market at $399 for wifi version and $529 for 3G version.

3. Re: Ipad 3

I like the tagline they came up with for their main web site...Resolutionary. And I'd also like to dedicate this screenshot from one of Apple's new iPad videos to Fusion. ;D

[​IMG]

4. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

so is this really the name of the new ipad? "the new ipad"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_3

ANYWAYS, March 16th is the launch date.

5. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

I think they may simply be abandoning the numbered naming convention for the hardware, similar to how they treat things like their desktops and laptops.

6. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

That was my suspicion as well. much like their ipod line. Makes sense.

7. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

what the hell is the use of such a resolution on an 11" screen?? expecially when your not doing anything real heavy (photoshop/ premiere) on it? Can you use usb controlers on ipads? if not I'm SURE you'll be able to on Windows Tablets. Holding up a tablet to play a game seems counterintuitive to me, but I'd gladly prop it up to play something on it. OFC I couldn't stand very far from it... it is only 11 inches...

8. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

Some Diablo-ish eye-candy from Epic with the new Infinity Blade: Dungeons app that will be releasing at a later date. This was shown during the presentation, but probably wouldn't be limited to the latest hardware.

http://youtu.be/4Rp-TTtpU0I

9. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

I would imagine that this has Bluetooth 4, so wireless controllers would be the way to go in the future as that's a fairly low power option. However, there is a company that has already created a standard console style controller that plugs into the headphone jack.

10. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

isn't the bluetooth on Ios devices pretty gimped though?

11. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

Looks quite impressive. Looks like Apple is finally making something that's more than just a phone with a bigger screen.

12. Re: Ipad 3

Of course the screen is much better vs 1080p, when the hell did I argue that? Vs 2560x1600, it's not better for most uses IMO.

4:3 does make more sense for tablets than just about any other device, and going for such a resolution is a great move by Apple. This iPad should be far better than any other tablet currently out. 16:10 or 3:2 is still my preferred option, so if Android/Win8 tablets come out with 16:10 high res screens, I'll say that they are the better product (assuming they are well rounded in other areas).

13. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

I think Nvidia would like to see some data to back that claim.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/nvidia-on-apples-ipad-a5x-graphics-claims-show-us-the-benchmarks/71065

14. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

In all truthfulness, Nvidia would probably want to keep their mouth shut. Their tegra 2 performance was horrendous for the first gen android tablets last year. The ipad 2 launched with the apple a5 only 2 weeks after the motorola xoom tablet launched with the tegra 2. Needless to say, tegra 2 was crushed, and quite embarrassing.

Fast forward to December, 10 months later, Nvidia debuts the Tegra 3 in the Asus Transformer Prime.

These benchmarks speak for themselves: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/3

As you can see, even nvidia's tegra 3 still can't even touch the a5's powervr sgx543mp2. Hell, even Qualcomm's brand new snapdragon s4 (krait) is going to overshadow Tegra 3 very soon. IMO, the only reason Apple called out Nvidia is because Nvidia has a great marketing team. Otherwise, Apple really has nothing to fear. The powervr sgx543mp4 in this new ipad is a crazy beast, as proven in the ps vita.

15. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

I'm not a student or a millionaire so I won't be buying the new ipad.

16. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

Need to be a millionaire to get a tablet? There must be millions of millionaires out there.

17. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

I think he just means people who waste a lot of money on gadgets they don't actually need. I would say a lot of iPad owners definitely fall into this category.

18. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

The ipad isn't a great choice for students because it's pretty poor for content creation.

The real niche that I see for the ipad is couch surfing.

19. The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

Eh? Why don't they need them? Why are they a waste of money? Everyone I know with one loves them.

20. Re: The New Ipad (Ipad 3? what the hell is the name of this thing)

Because they cost as much as a decent laptop, but they're far less capable than a laptop. An ipad is slightly more capable than a smartphone, but less useful because it's not as portable. The people you know with ipads probably have very minimal computing needs. The people I've known who had them bought them as a piece of bling. They didn't really need an ipad, it was just an expensive luxury item. Like I said before, the only real use I see for an ipad is couch surfing, but they're much too expensive to buy just for that purpose. You can get a tricked out Core i5 based laptop for the price of an ipad. I could only see buying an ipad if they dropped the price to below $200, but that would never happen.