iPad 3 (aka The New iPad)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by khaid, Mar 7, 2012.

1. No, I said the A5 was very likely to be falling between last gen/current gen consoles in terms of overall performance, and that the A5X would be pushing closer to current gen. That's only a couple of posts down. Prior to the new iPad coming out, there was speculation that Apple might be using the Series 6 PowerVR GPU and the Core A15, which is what would have pushed it beyond current gen consoles. That didn't happen, so I don't think they're quite there yet.

You can't claim it doesn't "keep up with it's predecessor" when it's running the graphic updates that were specific to the iPad 2 for Real Racing II and Galaxy on Fire II. They don't run with those updates on the A4 SoC. However, that doesn't change the fact that those games were originally designed at a time when the A4 SoC was the high end.

I'm sure you can understand the difference between a game that adds some graphic assets after the fact for a new hardware spec vs. a game that was targeting that hardware spec from the outset. You're just playing dumb here. The iOS game model is very similar to the PC game model, but with fewer variables in terms of the hardware.

2. Here's an example of a game using the Unreal 3 Engine that increased (not decreased) the quality of the visuals and effects as part of a retina display update, including "double the character texture resolution". Does this look like a last gen game in terms of the visuals? Nope. It's comfortably beyond that level.

http://youtu.be/Q-TEXT3m1OI

3. Is distance fog, light shafts and bloom worthy of a trailer?

4. It probably is when there are tech sites claiming that the hardware/software will struggle with the retina display upgrade.

5. Fair enough, I suppose.

6. that sound will be featured in the next trailer I bet :eek: