iPhone 3GS voodoo

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Jul 9, 2012.

1. So I got my used iPhone 3GS and it's got a bit of a problem. Every so often it shuts down and wont power back up unless it connected to the USB power cable. It happened 3 times today. I came across 3 possible fixes which involved removing the sim card and other voodoo. I did 2 of them. The third fix involves replacing the battery and I didn't do that. So far no crash and I've run the battery 100% all the way down to 0% playing youtube videos. Anyone ever head of this before?

It's a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS on 5.1.1.

2. Have you tried doing a restore in itunes? That often fixes bizarre flakiness with iOS devices.

I wasn't just making shit up in the other thread when I said that I've found iPhones to be very problematic devices.

3. I've found several cases of people having the exact same problem. Many times it happens right after an update. It might be a combination of a new power hungry OS and an old battery that can't handle the draw.

Restore didn't help.

4. Probably a hardware issue then. Get an exchange.

5. I have a feeling he got the 3gs second had. I believe they stopped selling them when the iphone 4s came out.

6. Yeah you can't buy them from Apple anymore. A 4G would work but you have to cut the sim card or something crazy like that.

7. Happens with new phones too...

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/575233-galaxy-s3-randomly-shutting-down.html

8. You must have gotten a dodgy 3GS then. Mine is working fine with no problems.

9. The seller has offered to replace the battery so I guess we will see if that fixes the problem.

10. Fair play to the person. How much does a brand new one cost?

11. An unlocked iPhone 4 16GB is about $600. A 4S is $700. *gag*

12. I meant a new battery, but yeah.

13. Depends. The seller might be replacing the battery themselves.. not exactly an easy task.. ask supersonic.

14. Should have gotten a droid brah.

15. Ask me. I cracked the screen on an Touch 2 trying to replace a battery.

Well despite being enamored by Apple products my wife is now convinced that all 3GS phones are crap. I guess that's what happens when you read too much Interwebs. So it looks like my wallet is buying an iPhone4. I wonder if I should tell her about the grip of death.

I did brah. I did.

16. I hope you saved up enough pennies.

17. Ah, so it was you. I keep getting you and supersonic confused. You guys may as well be the same person. Hotel indian food binge eating little mermaid lover.

18. My wife has a 4 and has had antenna problems and issues with the home button not working. It also flakes out and needs to be restored every time there's an update.

She hates everything about it other than the accessories. I think she's probably going to get a Galaxy S3 at some point.

19. Just make sure you study the convenient "you're holding it wrong" diagrams that Samsung provides with the S3 manual and I'm sure the antenna problems will be a thing of the past...

[​IMG]

20. Well the SIII is pretty big, You'd need either sasquatch hands or have a really weird cupping hold on your phone to block the antenna