Japan Earthquake and Tsunami (March 2011)

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Phisix, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Colorado is pretty much away from that fake danger zone. Atleast the red zone, so he wont die=he wont be scared :D

2. a 30 ft high wall would have to be incredibly thick to withstand the force with which that tsunami hit. It's just not practical. battery backup whats?

3. Not practical? Not practical? A meltdown isn't practical. A wall is nothing.

4. I know what Bfun is on about, and I agree with him really. It may be a chore and a lot of money to do, but it would further help against these things. Especially since Japan will always get Earthquakes and Tsunami's. I doubt it would ever happen though, but as the worlds sea's rise and more things like this happen around the word, the world needs to do something like this, specially as we wont ever be living in floating cities or on the moon.

5. Bill Nye the science guy was on CNN and was implying that the Japanese where down playing the situation.

6. I can see where bfun is coming from; if there's an expensive form of defence for this sort of thing then it should be implemented. I'm not sure there is though.

7. The problem with the big wall idea is that at the thickness it needs to be, and at the required rigidity to hold back a tsunami, it will be destroyed by earthquakes. Then you'll have giant chunks of wall being pushed towards people.

8. Yeah, I was wondering about the problem the toughness required combined with resisting an earthquake. I'm sure there must be an answer though.

9. I don't think the damage to this particular nuclear plant came from the tsunami waves. The earthquake disrupted all of the main and backup power systems and the ability to cool the cores. It's a 40 year old facility, and the safety systems were outdated. Odds are that they've already had a partial meltdown, which is similar to Three Mile Island.

10. A slightly safer option could be undersea baffles, a few kilometres long, to dissipate the force of the waves before they get to the main island. This would severely restrict ship access though

11. Another reactor at a different nuclear plant is now at risk: Onagawa.

12. http://imgur.com/gallery/sfrkK

Facebook and people's thoughts... always a great way to see the intellect levels.

13. Why are people on facebook getting so worked up over something that happened 70 years ago? Yes, I'm sure the Tsunami was god's revenge for something that happened to a bunch of US sailors almost a century ago. It's not like we nuked the shit out of their country or anything in an attack way out of proportion to anything they did to us :rolleyes:

14. Their knowledge of pearl harbor is probably limited to a michael bay movie. They probably have no idea of the difference in casualties of the two atomic bombs compared to pearl harbor.

On another note, did you notice the one dude calling the japanese krauts? bahhahahhaha

15. Pearl Harbor wasn't even an especially successful attack for the Japanese. Our carriers were out at sea, and battleships were pretty much obsolete by WW2. All they did was force us to update our fleet to newer tactics centered around carriers rather than battleships.

16. Holy...look at this video! It goes from a half inch of water moving down the street to utter devastation in about five minutes. 1st person video.

http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-snc6/81489/34/1605260179420_2624.mp4?oh=ac31b4d8738221641ba490396dc19636&oe=4D7F9F00&l3s=20110313100648&l3e=20110315101648&lh=0a6cfa5eeaecd6dc12abf

17. yeah that would suck lol as... I'm thinking I'm safe as I'm vacationing away from my W Coast home in a few days... BUT... I'm vacationing in Hawaii lol... bah.

18. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Apparently those idiots have no idea that Japan one of our greatest allies... I wonder if they know their fucking Toyota's and PlayStations come from Japan.

19. Link to a set of before and after satellite photos of the devastation from the NYT...each image represents a single shot of an overall area that is split in half, with the right half showing the tsunami damage. I read a quote from someone who said that the damage in Japan is like 1,000 Hurricane Katrinas. You won't doubt it after seeing these pix.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

The pic below is from the LATimes web site. Think of it as a closeup of what appears in the satellite photos.

[​IMG]