L.A. Noire

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by alterego, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Depends on the person. I think Team Bondi's goal was to mix it up, so that some NPC's are born liars and others...not so much. Some are easy to read, others give mixed signals based on their emotional state, and others are quite difficult. However, you do have an advantage when it comes to outright lying because many of those calls are based on evidence you've collected.

Generally speaking, if you're paying attention to the details when playing and not distracted, you'll get the majority of the questions right.

2. Just finished L.A. Noire today, and it definitely would be among my top 5 favorites for this console generation. The transition from Cole Phelps to Jack Kelso towards the end of the game was the only thing that seemed a bit awkward. There was a story oriented reason for doing so, but something was a bit superficial about it compared to the rest of the game. I don't think the Kelso actor/character was as interesting as some of the others in the game, so that's probably a large part of it.

I think I enjoyed the Homicide division cases the most, partially because the overall arc for Homicide was linked to the historical Black Dahlia case and books that I've read by James Ellroy. Pretty fun to participate in the "solving" of the unsolved Dahlia case, even if it is just an alternate history video game version.

3. Oh good god! Coming to PC in the fall.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/17161/la-noire-is-coming-for-pc-this-fall.html

4. A friend at work is on the fence about buying a console and was wishing for Red Dead and/or L.A. Noire to come to PC. He will be happy with this news. Thanks for posting this.

5. Impressions so far:

Pros: ground-breaking facial animation technology, great dialogue and voice acting, interesting story, interrogations are fun

Cons: free-roaming seems unnecessary and tacked on, weird issue getting it to run well on PC (had to put it on single threaded, even though I don't have a single core CPU), graphics are pretty average for this generation other than the facial animation

I think this will end up being an 8/10. It's like Heavy Rain crossed with GTA. Seems like a good purchase for $12 now that I've gotten it to work.

6. I kind of felt that way when I first started playing L.A. Noire. You definitely could do this type of game without it and it would still be solid, but in the end I had enough fun with the car chase missions and just sort of generally enjoying the historic L.A. aspect of free roam that I think Rockstar made a good choice by including it. I think it does help draw you into the retro feel a bit more than if it weren't included. Plus, they make good use of the drive time by inserting quite a bit of conversational dialogue with your various partners that enhance the story/mindset.