Last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by bfun, Jan 24, 2011.

1. It's not supposed to be part of the DCEU. It's like the movie equivalent of a DC Black Label comic. It's probably my #1 movie of 2019. I was very impressed with Joker, Alita: Battle Angel, and Parasite.

2. I watched Us on 4K Blu-ray. This had potential and featured some solid acting by the lead actress, but unfortunately they chose the catastrophically dumb and predictable ending Hollywood keeps going back to for this type of movie that just made very little sense. Very disappointing. 6/10

3. I agree. I felt the twist at the end cheapened the overall movie.

4. The Irishman

Over 3 hours long and the CGI wasn't that great. Other than that it was okay. 7/10.

5. Samurai Cop

I was with some friends on Saturday night and we decided we had seen enough clips of this on YouTube to warrant a watch. It was so bad it was good, I will list some highlights.

• The wig for the reshoots.
    • The stunt double for the burning man.
    • The abrupt change of location as a fight scene starts, one minute in a green garden, the next in a desolate field (with the wig back on) and then return to the garden for the finish.
    • The passionate sex scenes.
    • Franks face.
    Next time, Samurai Cop 2 or Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

6. Joker. I read the Washington Post review of it afterwards and agreed that it was derivative and really full of itself. Well made, for sure. Just not as deep as it wants to be. It would’ve been far out in 1979.

Joaquin Phoenix did a fine if kinda weird job as Joker.

7. #2667 cmdrmonkey, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Joker

It's the same kind of movie as Taxi Driver or Falling Down. A man gets the crap kicked out of him by society until he violently lashes out.

8. #2668 cmdrmonkey, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Dolemite

True story of a 70s blaxploitation star who influenced early rap music. Very boring movie. Even Eddie Murphy couldn’t save it.

9. Samurai Cop 2

After all the joy we got from watching the first film we decided to give the sequel a go. You would think that after 25 years the actors from the first film would have learnt how to actually act but no. The film was much worse than the original but not just because of the acting. After watching the entire film none of us knew what was going on, the fight scenes were horrendous because of the dodgy camerawork and were just thrown in randomly. I am not sure if there was a plot at all, all I could work out was that you had a load of white people claiming to be the head of Japanese crime syndicates. Even Tommy Wiseau wasn't able to save this film, I am not sure I was able to understand any of his lines.

Don't watch this.

Pet Sematary (2019)

Well this was bad, nothing really happened for the entire film.

Don't watch this either.

10. I said very little about Parasite's story because it is pretty sensitive to spoilers, but now that it has won the major Oscars I'd recommend seeing it soon if it interests you at all due to the increased attention and interest it will receive. You're bound to get important things spoiled if you wait.

11. #2671 cmdrmonkey, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Hustlers

J Lo still looks really good at 50. The mom from Fresh Off the Boat is also surprisingly hot.

12. Sonic the Hedgehog

Paramount should get some credit for listening to their fans and fixing the potential train wreck they originally had. The result is a movie that's pretty watchable. Jim Carrey was an excellent cast choice for the mad doctor, although he seemed to be channeling Ace Venture at times. I think it's biggest flaw is that the action and humor came in short burst leaving to many long periods of boring drama.

7/10

13. Midsommar

Not as good as Hereditary. Which kinda freaked me out. Midsommar is wonderfully shot, if not visually lush. The characters fall flat and are pretty dumb, even for a horror film. They basically sit around, look kinda angsty, and wait to die.

I haven’t seen any version of wicker man but I assume this movie rips that plot. It’s honestly barely horror. It’s mildly creepy and focuses a bit too much on foreshadowing it’s own boring plot points.

After I heard it was made by the same folks as Hereditary I was excited. But it just doesn’t hit right.

14. The Handmaiden.

Directed/produced by Park Chan Wook. I should just say nuff said after that, and leave it at that. I found it on amazon prime video, and I really liked it. I don’t know if it’s quite Oldboy/Lady Vengeance good, but it’s good.

15. Knives Out

It was like a modern version of Clue. 9/10

16. Zombieland: Double Tap

I liked it and I knew I would like it. It's stupid fun. 7/10

Terminator: Dark Fate

It's just a weak copy of every other Terminator movie. 5/10

17. Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

The action scenes were okay but the writing was really bad. It was almost like someone took terrible reddit Star Wars fanfiction and made a movie out of it with a big budget.

• agree agree x 1
  18. Agreed. I had one key plot point spoiled for me but that didn’t ruin it. The movie is very good and on Hulu.

19. Sorry to Bother You

Also on Hulu. Watch the trailer first. If any part of that speaks to you, give the rest a shot because it gets better. Weirder too. It’s pretty funny.

20. Yeah Sorry to Bother You was one of the strangest movies I've seen. It was like a fever dream.