Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Grim, Sep 3, 2012.

1. I'm Fulton air lifting tanks now. It's pretty ridiculous

2. Finally got my fulton leveled up to steal vehicles and containers. Just S ranked a mission for the first time this game. Getting S rank is all about finishing each mission as fast as you can.

3. I think I have 2 or 3 S completions so far. Getting better weapons will help a lot. I need better nonlethal weapons, especially a nonlethal sniper rifle.

Just finished "recruiting" Quiet. Stayed up way too late dealing with that mission.

4. I did her with a sniper rifle. Took a while as she kept running after every shot I hit her with.

Yeah cant wait to get that tranq sniper and
    I am only one level up away from it,

5. Got her with nonlethal means, but I think I spent a couple hours on it. She gets really aggressive at the end. And I got 1-shotted a few times after she went aggro, which was an infuriating conclusion to a lengthy battle. Epic fight, though. The humming was an awesome touch.

6. Have you used her in the field yet? She hums there but you can send her to a village where shw can shout everything and she kills people who attack you.

Night time sneaking with night vision is amazing you can see everyone in yellow which makes sneaking easier.

7. Not yet. She's in a cell at the moment.

8. Finally got this skin Chi had. Quite enjoyed that Deja Vue mission in GZ. Just Kojima left to find and transfer from GZ to PP now as already have the Golden Arm and the sneaking suit from GZ.

[​IMG]

9. Kojima is also a hostage rescue side op in Phantom Pain.

10. I've been running missions with Quiet and have the thing Huey made, although I haven't tried that contraption yet. I'm trying to raise Quiet's bond rating as quickly as possible.

Quiet seems very independent for a "buddy." She disappeared for an entire mission only to be seen at extraction. Her spotting helps, especially after swapping from the dog, who marks everything.

11. I thought you could only get Kojima by getting him on GZ and transferring him to PP and he shows up after completing a story mission?

12. Finished the game. Story telling was underwhelming compared to previous games, the info dumps in the cassettes was a chore to get through and the ending... Well, you'll have to see for yourself.

On the plus side, gameplay was great and Quiet is the best buddy around. Give her the silenced tranq sniper rifle and she'll clear out outposts before you even get to them.

13. Now you have to S rank all missions, fully upgrade your base and try an FOB, unlock everything, do all side ops and the special ops and get a platinum. :D

I hear there is story missions past 40 is that true?

14. @AKS on the map, you can scroll down and select points for Quiet to scout or attack. Useful for getting her set up before you arrive.

@phisix, he's available in Phantom Pain as well. I don't think you end up with two though.

15. Ah. Guess I won't need to bother to do GZ for him now then thank god.

Also found out after certain PP missions you can unlock a Sniper Wolf skin for Quiet, and Grey Fox Ninja skin as well as a Raiden MGS4 skin.

16. Got em

[Edit] if you use Quiet a lot, use the butterfly on your emblem.

17. Why?

How much of the game have you actually done?

18. Finished it. Says I'm about 60% complete

19. It seems everyone loves using Quiet. I used her once and then discarded her. I'll pick her up again of course. But D-Dog is where it's at for me.

When I had quiet with me she started marking people at an outpost we happened to be close to. I started to drive off and it said she was on the move. Once I got to my objective it said she'd found a new position. And I never saw here again in that mission. I hear you have to issue commands via the idroid and I'm sure it's cool but it sounds annoying having to pull out the idroid whenever you want to use her.

Me and D-Dog just go around taking outposts left right and centre. I love it when there's two guards stood together talking. I send D-Dog off the bite one guard's arm while I choke out the other guard, by the time D-Dog is shaken off the first guard I'm there to chock him out too. Looking forward to developing the sneaking suit that lets D-Dog somehow knock enemies unconscious.

Overall I fucking love this game. My one complaint is that it's a major step back in terms of story, one of my favourite features of the Metal Gear series. I knew Kojima wanted to hold back on the overly lengthy cut scenes but fuck, pretty much removing all story from teh damn game? It's insane. It's annoying too because the few cut scenes that are in the game are totally awesome. I think I'm around 33% done with the story and something like 40% done overall, around 55 hours invested.

The story should be so awesome, but the more it draws on the more I think I won't get the answers I'm looking for. fucking cassette tapes instead of codec calls? Hmm, ok. I can live with that. But hardly any actual story? I did a story mission the other day and thought "What the fuck does that have to do with anything?"

It just seems like there's waaaaay too much busy work with pointless missions and not enough story progression. Now I'm hearing talk about a disappointing ending and someone even went as far as saying "I just hope they release the real ending as DLC some day."

This does not bode well. But, the gameplay is so awesome that the lack of a good story being told (the complete opposite of every other canon Metal Gear game ever made) is the only gripe I have with the game, everything else is awesome.

Here's two instances of me using D-Dog to "keep 'em busy" to great effect.

20. You can mark an area for Quiet from your binoculars if you like, then you go to the menu and tell her to scout or attack. If you tell her to cover you, she will start to attack very aggressively, and she'll often shift positions on her own if they hide from her. She can take down a small base on her own. I've given her a suppressed nonlethal sniper rifle, which is very useful if you are looking to infiltrate and capture people for your base. Some units of my base have all As and Bs personnel now from getting frequent nonlethal takedowns when my original focus was just to complete objectives. But when she'd KOed everyone, it was easy enough to scan and capture enemies with good stats. I like free roam with the dog. I can take my time just doing whatever and always know where everything is. I have Quiet's bond maxed and am getting closer with the dog.