Migraines

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Ichiban, Feb 3, 2011.

1. If anything, the coffee makes it worse. If I'm completely wired on coffee I can have real trouble focusing, especially when I need to get something done quick or when I cant find a problem that's effing everything else up. But I generally can't function without it because i'm usually running on little sleep; the coffee probably makes that worse too. Vicious circle..

2. Stuff like sugar and caffeine can be real bastards to cut down/quit. A girl I knew experimented with quitting different vices and caffeine was surprisingly tough apparently.

3. It could be a combination of multiple things. A family member have had migraines and it was mainly thanks to stress. Stress can work out on other daytimes or even days.
    Seeing that your having a fulltime job with all screens and pc's around you + gym 5 times a week, and add your social life. Stress could disturb your sleep rythem aswel.

You might combine the coffee aswel with all the above and we could have the problem there.

Did it get worse when you started this forum btw? :D

4. Sounds to me like weaning yourself off the caffeine/sugar would be worth a try. I pretty much avoid caffeine entirely, and even though I'm not a morning person, I've managed to adapt over the last few years and I really have no need for anything to get me going now.

5. My colleague at work has had trouble sleeping for nearly 2 years now but refuses to believe it could be anything to do with the fact that he has at least 5 cups of coffee a day each with at least 2 shots! He has been threatening to try decaf for months but never actually does it and then moans when he is forced to use his holiday time because he doesn't get to sleep until 4am! Seems like addictive stuff and I am glad I stay well clear.

As for migraines I know how you feel, I used to suffer badly when I was around 10 and was even prescribed glasses with really dark lenses as the sun was a massive trigger for me. I spent almost one entire summer holiday indoors with the curtains closed because they were so bad. Can't really remember if I managed to find anything that really worked but I do remember them giving me some good awful medicine sachets that you had to mix with water and drink.

6. So that's why you're so obsessed with old tv shows. You were locked up in a box as a child.

7. Well....I find myself back in Starbucks again. I'm trying half-caf; not bad. Certainly tastes like I'm drinking 4 shots of real espresso..see how I feel later.

8. With an addiction your headaches will get worse when the caffeine wears off. I'm guessing your headache will get worse with 1/2 caf.

9. Of course it will hurt, you've just got to ease off gently, so you don't give up trying because you think it's not working.

10. Well, I seem alright so far; no worse than I have done for the last couple of days. I'm actually feeling a bit tired too so with a bit of luck, tonight, I'll get a decent nights sleep. I've been to the pharmacy and bought the Immigrans though, just in case I get a full attack tommorow.

11. How's the coffee reduction working out?

12. I am drinking half-caf still. My headache got worse as the caffeine level lowered but it's pretty much gone. I'm going to attribute that to the lower caffeine intake rather than it just fading simply because I'd had the headache for days until I made the coffee switch.

It's weird though because my sleep patterns are completely screwed at the minute. I could barely sleep a wink last night; I thought caffeine stopped you sleeping, I must be wired differently...