Need a new laptop...?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Armadeadn, Dec 28, 2012.

1. I wouldn't ever get an American laptop. The position of the @ and " keys is just wrong

2. Re: Re: Need a new laptop...?

And the return/enter key is too small.

3. How do you backslash or pipe?

4. Ooh, I didn't even think of the keyboard differences. That'd be one of those annoyances that would drive me crazy.

arma, just drop the idea of a gaming laptop. it's literally one of the worst investments you could ever make. especially since prices for laptops over there aren't even good. hell, even the price of an OK gaming laptop here isn't a good deal.

5. What do you guys think of these? I'm not after a gaming laptop, just something that can render videos much faster than my current piece of crap.

EDIT: I give up. It simply won't allow me to post the other two pictures and I'm not in the mood to be fucked around today.

Here's the specs of the two I was looking at earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/s1ucmjT.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ajwSTY5.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Sony one as it has a dedicated graphics card which is a good thing right?

Get the one with the dedicated graphics card. You can PC game or emulate with that better than I could on my crappy one.

6. Well I'd go for the one with the AMD 7650m.

7. Of those two, definitely the Sony with the discrete video card.

8. Dude. Buy a US spec Lenovo for $800 and get somebody or a shipping service to send it to the UK. It will still be cheaper and you get i7,8GB, 1080p and GT650M.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5926578-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y500-Laptop-Core-i7-3630QM-2-4GHz-15-6-1920x1080-LED-8GB-DDR3-1TB-HDD-2GB-GeForce-GT-650M-Win-8-799-Free-Shipping

9. He doesn't care about specs or price. He's a dudebro. Those specs literally mean nothing to his dudebro brain. People like him are the reason stores like Best Buy are still in business. Computer specs and shopping online are things he just hasn't figured out yet.

Besides, he's not going to buy either laptop. He goes through this every few months and never ends up buying anything. Responding to anything armadeadn posts in a computer thread is pointless because he always gets wishy washy and bails.

10. Buy me that laptop with the dedicated card and you can have my i3 lappy in exchange, Arma? As I need my PS2 emu to run better games. ;D

11. Get the one that can store 250,000 songs. 187,500 just isn't enough.

12. Keep in mind mobile versions of (intel) processors are slower than desktop versions... so you may have a i7 in your laptop but not only is it less cores it also uses less energy to be mobile so it's slower than a desktop i7. You absolutely can't find a cheap pc anywhere?? Even a cheap 'boutique' (HP/ IBM etc) Desktop pc will likely be faster than a laptop.

13. Yes, if you won't be lugging the thing around don't buy a laptop. For people who don't have a desktop PC already it seems unlikely that they will want to clear a permanent desk space for one, however, so laptops are still more appealing. Just remember that they cost more and are slower.

14. Well yeah I currently take my laptop to work so I can render videos as it's a hugely time consuming process. On my current laptop rendering a 30 minute video can take anywhere from 3 to 7 hours.

15. Why don't you keep a desktop at home to render videos? Set a batch job running and come home to finished vids.

16. The Lenovo I linked is an i7 Quad, but it does have a mobile designation. Can a same speed i7 QM CPU perform worse than the desktop counterpart?

I can't fault arma's indecisiveness either. I've been trying to buy a laptop since November. Now I'm at the point where I feel like I don't need once since I've gone all this time without it.

17. The most important thing for rendering videos is going to be the CPU. Laptops have very slow CPUs compared to desktops. Get a desktop with a Core i7, and as chi said, set your videos to run when you leave for the day. The rest of the specs don't even matter much if you aren't going to be playing games. You could use a cheap video card, or even the intel onboard.

Yes, much worse. Go take a look at passmark. The mobile i7s are nowhere near as powerful as their desktop counterparts.

In passmark:

Mobile Core i7 3630QM: 7,725
    Desktop Core i7 3770k: 9,635

18. For the same money as a high end laptop you could also build a 6 core socket 2011 system, which would end up being close to twice as fast for rendering video as said high end laptop. I wouldn't bother though. Buy a decent i5 or i7 laptop if that's what you think you need, it should be plenty fast for video. If you want to use the thing for something else like gaming in the future, I'd have to recommend a desktop in its place or at the very least a decent gaming notebook if you need the portability.

19. Well shit, I might just be better off keeping my shitty old laptop and remoting into my Norse-god desktop.