New slim PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chi, Jul 16, 2012.

1. The original launch titles for 360/PS3 weren't close to current consoles...and they're the same consoles!

Console: choose whether or not to answer, pause the game if you do
    Smartphone: choose whether or not to answer, pause the game if you do

What a conundrum!

2. We're still talking about a device with a lower resolution screen and less powerful hardware. It wouldn't even be able to get close if it had to output at 720p. Some games on Vita are already running at lower than the native screen resolution.

So we're heading to a future where smartphones are our gaming consoles? And we'll be swapping them for new ones every couple of years? So I'll need to have two or more different smartphones if I want to play all the games?And then I'll have to change all of them? So in a 7 year period, I will end up holding onto 10 smartphones.

3. Most of them, actually.

More from the same dev on PSP/iPad impressions compared to current consoles:

Modern tools and development techniques allow devs to do some pretty amazing things with current mobile systems, but their capabilities are all over the place - worse than Xbox 1 in some ways, approaching 360 in others. The main problem for now will always be bandwidth. PSVita has tackled this much more than any other device out right now with it's 128MB VRAM, where most other devices are relying on half of Xbox 1's memory bandwidth. Of course there are plenty of ways around this, but you wont ever get the same experience as current gen games can provide with these limitations - let alone a next gen experience.

Despite all this, controls for tablets are the biggest issue. If you're going to use a wireless controller, why not just plug your tablet into your TV as well since you're now not holding the device? Oh, why not just use a more powerful device now that you don't need the portability at all.

Cloud gaming will be the future, but it can't enter the mainstream for at least 5 years. So yes, the next gen will likely be the last traditional console gen, not because everyone would rather game on expensive tablets with crappy controls and pay less money to devs for games, then wonder why they don't bother making big, cinematic titles any more.

4. Oh yeah, the topic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. It's not a sustainable business model, and the idea driving it has fallen apart. The only reason MS and Sony were willing to lose so much money on the PS3 and 360 is because they thought gaming consoles were the key to home media consumption dominance. That idea has turned out to be fool's gold.

[​IMG]

6. I've been saying this for years

7. And I've been saying this for years.

8. Not true. I often answer my phone while I'm playing Street Fighter X Tekken online. What if you're playing a game online on your smartphone and someone calls, you either forfeit the match or the call gets ignored. Practical it aint.