nVidia Kepler Architecture (Geforce GTX 6xx Series)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Finding someone with one card won't be hard, convincing them to try it out in the second PCI-E slot could be a bit of an ask but hopefully you can find someone helpful. :) With any luck the non-reference cooler on your 6950's was just a bit wider than standard dual slot.

2. I decided to go ahead and purchase the EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB card. It's pretty quiet and powerful. I threw every type of AA at Mirror's Edge, and it still had a very smooth frame rate. Adaptive vsync and lots of VRAM are nice when you want to push the settings as far as you can. On the negative side of things, Origin has gone crazy, and I can't even play BF3. GTA IV has also gone insane, only permitting me to use minimal settings and resolution, which isn't surprising considering it's a Rockstar PC game.

[​IMG]

3. I bet one cookie your problem is caused by your old ATI drivers. They are damn near impossible to get rid of and can cause all kinds problems when you switch to Nvidia.

4. I erased a bunch of AMD files and tracked down some secret AMD stuff in the registry. I'll keep searching I guess.

5. That wont be good enough. You'll need to run driversweeper in safe mode with networking. Locate the AMD drivers and zap em.

6. The 660Ti will basically just be a GTX 670 with 192-bit memory.

At $250, it looks like it be another fantastic performance mainstream card along the lines of the 8800GT, Radeon 4850, and GTX 460.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review/index1.html

7. well shit the 560ti 448 is still better. I knew I shoulda' got it when I had the chance but NO I had to go to Vegas :(

I scale back a little of my argument. the difference between Kepler and Fermi may be significant enough (2x the CUDA cores) to fill the gap. But I still think the GTX560ti-448 is a better deal at 230 after rebate right now. I'd not buy it for more than 210 after rebate by the time 660ti hits.

Further research (based on Metro 2033) has this at 7870 range which goes for 300 right now, the 570ti seems to be at about a 7830 range (if there was one) at about a 7850 price. I'd say the recent AMD price cuts set their cards up at just the right price for the 660ti.

8. What the hell are you on about? The GTX 660Ti has 1344 CUDA cores, which is 3x as many as the 560Ti. It absolutely blows the 560Ti out of the water. It's three times the card for $20 more. The 560Ti will have to drop in price by at least $100, but more likely it will just disappear. The 660Ti is literally just a 670 with cheaper memory. It's in the same realm of performance as the 7870 and 7950.

We've needed a card like this for awhile. The prices were getting outrageous.

9. The 660 Ti looks like a very potent card for the price. Probably the only range it would really struggle to compete with the 670 and 680 would be at the very top end ultra settings at higher resolutions (which is where I plan to go in the near future).

10. Reviews are out. The 660Ti is just slightly slower than the 670, and for significantly less money:

11. The Nvidia power tiers have been very odd this generation. The 670 was just a smidge slower than the 680 and now the 660 TI is just a smidge slower than the 670.

12. True, and I don't really see any reason why you'd go with anything other than a 660Ti at this point other than to flex your e-penis. You're paying a huge premium for the 670 and 680 for a tiny, probably not even noticeable difference in real world performance. The difference between the 670 and the 660Ti in many/most games was about 3-5 frames per second. No one would notice that in actual gameplay.

I'm understanding now why they held off on releasing this card. No one is going to buy the 670 or 680 once it hits. nVidia are basically undercutting themselves, which is kind of strange.

13. For most the 660Ti would be the best choice. The higher end cards in Nvidia's lineup wouldn't gain a significant advantage unless you were at the top end of the graphics spectrum at high resolutions. For example, 2x GTX 670 4GB SLI in a multi-monitor setup would outperform a similar configuration with the 660Ti by a decent amount. That would be a miniscule proportion of Nvidia's customers, however. The GTX 670 and 680 are pretty much for enthusiasts only.

14. I guess we’ll see what the availability is like over the next week. Will they be releasing a regular 660? Maybe that will be the $200 card.

15. Free Borderlands 2 with purchase. Real good deal if you are going to get the game.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00697/

16. I'm not seeing how it is only slightly slower myself. My favourite site for GPU reviews is the TechReport,

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23419/3

Reading that and a couple of other reviews and given the fact that here prices are in line with 7950's... I'd personally go the 7950 anyday. More memory, actual compute performance, which is starting to be used in actual games (dirt showdown) and a hell of a lot of OC headroom due to the conservative standard clocks. 7870/50 prices will likely come down due to this, which is good.

Myself I'm just glad the 670 and 660ti continue to drive 7970/7950 prices down because personally I feel that these two are a lot of future proof GPU for your money. Maybe I'm just a fanboy these days, I wouldn't say so, but I'm just not seeing the attraction of these lower end gk104's as much as everyone else seems to be.

17. I may talk big for AMD but I'd not had an AMD video card since... EVER considering back than they were ATI xD. Anyway I just dropped some big coin on an MSI Twin Frozr 660ti PLUS a Viewsonic 120hz monitor! Pretty much all 660ti's come with Borderlands 2, I'm giving mine to my friend as long as he'll buy me one when Steam starts selling it for 15 bucks or so.

18. Awesome. MSI makes a great card. I've heard nothing but good things about the Twin Frozrs.

And if you had any plans on getting Borderlands 2, which I know a lot of people on PVC did, it makes the GTX 660Ti kind of a no brainer.

As far as AMD, I read a few days ago that they're down to $4 a share. As much as I want them to stick around for competition's sake, there's serious talk of a buyout or them spinning off their GPU division.

19. Any evidence of this serious talk? These rumours have been around for years, the last ones of Samsung or Qualcomm were proven unsubstantiated just like the rest.

Either way, I don't get how that would make their products have any less of a standing in the market. A HIS IceQ OC model 7950 just sold out of a store I shop at for $299 AUD, that's $60 cheaper than any 660ti and the same price as the cheapest 7870. If this is a sign of things to come then I'm personally going to be looking for a very good deal on something Tahiti based because clearly everyone else doesn't see the much better value of these cards at such prices. I mean, yes, the 660ti is better at some games stock, but even disregarding the lack of compute performance, it doesn't have the OC headroom or extra RAM that will make a huge difference in the future. I just don't see the value in any of the 6xx series myself other than when the 680 first launched and the 670 first launched because of price/performance alone. Now the prices have shifted; and then some!

I'm probably sounding like I'm marketing the damn things so I'll just leave it at that.

20. that's what stopped me from continuing to argue with Newegg to renew my preferred CC so I can get a 660ti. I doubted it'd hold up as well in future games. If the 7950 was 300 bucks (which apparantly it WAS a few weeks ago :() I'da' bought that. Or 330 with that Deus Ex bundle ATI was tossing around back than (add in Sonic Generations and I'd have to SERIOUSLY consider it!)! Anyway I splurged on compensation which turns out cheaper so I didn't have to stress my CC.