PC Specs Help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by supersonic, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I got this beast up and running. It works fantastic, and I would recommend SSD to anybody. Everything is so fucking fast. Upon install though, my SSD said only 150 of 223 was free. I had to disable hibernation, and page file in Windows to get about 30GB of space back. I still only got 180GB of 223GB back, but found some webpages with tweaks for SSD installs.

2. What hardware did you end up going with?

3. I think it's obvious. He got a MAC.

4. This is what I ended up going with based on everyone suggestions:

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=19-116-501%7c1%2c20-231-569%7c1%2c11-147-053%7c1%2c14-150-599%7c1%2c20-227-796%7c1%2c27-136-246%7c1%2c17-139-020%7c1%2c35-103-099%7c1%2c35-100-007%7c1%2cCombo.1017205%7c1

I'm glad I checked in here, because it came in cheaper and better than my original plans. I was originally gonna get a 1000w PSU, sandy bridge cpu, and $300 motherboard. I was thinking about upgrading the GPU, but I doubt I will be playing video games on this thing.

Windows scores were:
    CPU: 7.7 / 7.9
    RAM: 7.7 / 7.9
    GPU: 7.6 / 7.9
    HDD: 7.9 / 7.9

5. You should get a second internal drive for the bulk of your file storage, an external drive for backup of both, and use the primary drive mainly for applications.

6. Expanding on what alterego said, make sure the external drive has eSATA. USB 2.0 is painfully slow for large file transfers.

7. Expanding on cmdrmonkey said, don't stick your new e-penis in the exhaust fan.

8. Expanding on what bfun said, drill a hole in your new computer so that you can make love to it.

9. Not necessary. The case has 4 of those sphincter holes, presumably just for that.

I do have to get an external HDD soon. I will try to wait for a sale.

10. 4 sphincters eh? Sounds like a job for a Quadricorn.

[​IMG]

11. Those sphincter holes are only 3/4"... just sayin'.

12. The perfect size!

13. Ok. So for about a month, I've had a full desktop hooked up to my tv to stream Netflix, Slingbox, and surf the net.

Last week I decided to reclaim my desktop and buy Google TV, but now that I got a taste of the full usable desktop, GoogleTV just isn't good enough.

What are the minimum specs I would need just to stream Netflix, Slingbox, Amazon VOD, etc... Possibly multitask with web browsers while streaming. I would just run any games on the other PC/monitor. I'm not prepared to shell out for a 2nd high end computer just to game on my TV.

Would this be good enough:
    http://tinyurl.com/cfwwn32

14. Is that thing in any way close to the performance of a core2duo e5200? I had a system with that and 2GB of ram and I can vouch that it would run everything for you like a champ for those uses.

15. It's competes with the pentium 4.

16. You won't be running anything HD on that setup. That CPU is comparable to a Pentium D, and the Geforce 6150 can't do hardware acceleration for h264.

You could build an AMD Llano or Trinity APU setup for $200-300 depending on how much hardware you already have. The APUs are nice because they give you a decent CPU and decent Radeon GPU for not much money. My Llano A6-3650 handles everything like a champ.

The Pentium Dual Core E5200 is much faster.

Passmark:
    E5200: 1484
    Athlon 64 X2 3800: 995

I know. Streaming boxes just aren't anywhere near as capable or flexible as having a real PC hooked up to your TV. I love how alterego was calling me an idiot in another thread for wanting to build a living room PC, and meanwhile others are coming to the same conclusion I did.

17. Will a i3 handle it? I'm thinking about waiting for the next Lenovo purge and grab an i3 laptop with Intel 4000 video for < $300?

I think it would come out to $300 if I built an AMD desktop.

18. Yes, an i3 would do just fine. I was suggesting an APU because you can often do CPU/mobo/RAM combo deals on newegg where the APUs come out much cheaper than i3s. They also have better onboard GPUs. But the onboard on the Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips is perfectly fine for HD video.

19. Yup, as cmdr said, the sandy and ivy bridge can handle it like a champ too. Hell, my "media center" is pre-sandy bridge (core i3 330m) and it plays everything without a hitch. from 720/1080p flash videos to 1080p x264 videos. If you get something this old, remember to check to see if it has an HDMI out since it wasn't as common as it is now.