Pebble Time

Discussion in 'Technology' started by supersonic, Jun 23, 2016.

1. They've been bought out by fitbit.. wonder if I'll get my PT2

2. So what's the best course of action now? I have a new Pebble that I can still return if needed. I'm going to assume the warranty on this thing is worthless. Will the app store continue to operate? I'd honestly still like to have one so I might keep the gift for myself. There is also the possibility of a fire sale soon.

3. sell it man, dead product.. so sad :(

• agree agree x 1
  4. You're the most fucked of all...

@bfun definitely return it. It may be worth a few dollars at an eventual fire sale. Redditors are downloading the entire app store and are going to mirror it. But not sure how it will work since it won't be tied to the Pebble account. You'd have to rely on open source 3rd party devs.

Really sucks... as there are no other long battery life, full notification compatible, alternatives for iOS.

http://gizmodo.com/pebble-is-dead-and-its-customers-are-completely-screwe-1789775408

5. There is the Vector but it seems to have more of a feature trade off than the Pebble does.

6. the tech sites are saying the smartwatch fad is over. Fitbit itself isn't in great shape, and Apple Watch sales are down 70%. Apparantly, long battery life, full notifications, and cheap are a niche within a niche.

7. Yeah the smartwatch fad is over, the tablet fad is over, and the buying a new phone ever 2 years fad is over.

8. Is it fair to call them a fad? Smartwatches and tablets are good products, they just lack any pressure to upgrade regularly. I've been using an iPad 4 for years and will stick with my Pebble Time until the hardware fails.

I'm not sure how the switch to full price phones will hit upgrade cycles. The impact is a bit more direct. You're gonna want the newest LTE radios and bands if nothing else.

9. Maybe not a fad but the market is saturated and people don't desire upgrades like they used to. Innovation is hitting a wall. Screens aren't going to get noticeably better, processors aren't going to get noticeably faster, and batteries aren't going to get any better. Like you said the only real area for improvement are the networks.

10. Phones reached a point somewhere around 2012 or 2013 where they became good enough for what most people do with them. iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 was the last time Apple had a really significant upgrade. Combine that with the move away from 2 year contracts with heavily subsidized phones and I think people upgrading every 2 years may become a thing of the past. Most people will just upgrade when their phones break. Smartphones have gone the way of PCs.

11. Everyone: Apple watch sales are down...a lot.
    Cook: No. Sales are Yuge! My numbers are the best numbers.
    Everyone: Can we see those numbers?
    Cook: No.

12. Apple's track record for projecting demand is actually really good. They don't b.s. about stuff like that. IDC on the other hand...

13. lol it's just Wall Street double speak. IDC says shipped to retail has dropped. Apple says sell thru has increased.

Both are likely to be correct statements. The series 1 is discounted heavily. The series 2 just released so the biggest fans will buy this quarter.

14. series 1 and series 2 came out the same time. both are generation 2 apple watches. first generation apple watches have been discontinued for awhile, so the sales you've seen for those were stores trying to dump inventory.

15. Yeah it's confusing because you'd think it refers to chronological order. I've seen people refer to the generation 1 as series 0 which kind of makes sense. How about this? Gen1 S0, Gen2 S1, Gen2 S2. I should patent that.

16. Well Tim Cook stopped releasing numbers. Analysts also claim iPhone 7 is doing worse than 6. Word is Apple is manufacturing and shipping fewer units, which are selling through. But it's like reverse channel stuffing. We'll find out on January 24th, they should beat on Holiday sales.

17. I got a refund minus $6.50 for shipping. The originals have been going for $20 on the Amazon warehouse. If I see the time hit $20 I might get it again.